Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 vs. '06 Ultra Classic

Old 11-14-2005, 09:33 PM
jweakley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '03 vs. '06 Ultra Classic

Rubbernecker, I am coming from a Wide Glide, and I am really enjoying the ride of the '06 Ultra (aside from the post I put on the fork lock). I can't relate to you comments about the lighter front end because I had to get used to (and still am getting used to) the weight of the Ultra vs. the Wide Glide. All and all I think the 2006 Ultra is a great ride. Not a 2-wheel car, as some, but still fun to travel on.

Jack

Old 11-14-2005, 09:50 PM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Bibleman,

The fact that you have had no issues with your '06 is encouraging to me. I had already made up my mind to replace my '03 with an '06 Ultra until I started reading threads from this forum group. I was shocked to hear about motor mounts going bad at 2k miles, the engine stalling problem and cylinder shutdown. It never even occurred to me that this could even be an issue. As the theory goes...things get better with time. Personally I don't know any of the people from this forum, but you may want to read through some of the posts here in this forum group to read about the issues I mentioned, just in case it ever happens to you. For your sake I hope that it doesn't. Nobody likes having these kind of problems and I wouldn't wish them on anybody. I did a little more research in to the engine stalling and cylinder shutdown and from what I've gathered they seem to be related. From what I've read/heard to meet stricter emission standards, HD is runnng these bikes leaner. If the bike runs leaner and is starving for the right fuel to air mixture, then the bike will run hotter. Hotter means the bike is more prone to stalling, or possibly go in to single cylinder shutdown. The latter did not happen to me, it only stalled. The solution seems to be a stage 1 kit with a remapping of the ECU. I did talk to a representative from Vance and Hines at the Love Ride yesterday and he told me that they now sell a fuel optimizer which is plug and play that will solve this issue. He demo'd the product and it is impressive indeed. What's nice about it is that you can program it yourself without any software. The manual which they supply you with comes with all the correct codes (fuel mapping) for your specific bike. So to tune your bike for say a Stage 1 kit with an aftermarket exhaust you would punch in a certain code. Each code is different depending on the equipment you have on your bike. Different cams on your bike? You'll need a different code....etc. As far as the rental bike is concerned, who knows what was up with that. The bike only had 2k miles on it when I picked it up and it seemed like it was pristine. Don't get me wrong the bike trailed nicely. It didn't seem like it was out of alignment or anything. It just picks up more of the road. As I was dropping this bike off earlier today, I was thinking to myself that maybe HD wanted to lighten the bike up so that it would appeal to more people. My friends who ride Harley's have said they find the Ultra Classic to be intimidating. The earlier bikes definitely have a heavier feel to them. Some might say, the '06 has a "sportier" feel to it. Like maybe HD was thinking, they wanted to compete with the handling characteristics of a BMW. As a previous BMW and Yamaha rider myself, that's what I thought. It has more that kind of feel. If the earlier bikes have any faults it's what I'm describing. The heavy feel is too much for many riders. If lightening things up is what HD thinks will sell more bikes, then that's what they'll do...or have done as the case may be. I hope I didn't offend you, it certainly wasn't my intention. Afterall, I also ride an Ultra. It's a shame that it got smashed in to tiny pieces. Then I could offer you a ride for comparison to see what you think. For whatever it's worth my neighbor also rides an Ultra (2000) and he told me exactly the opposite. He feels that turning at slow speeds (U-turn) was difficult. I disagreed completely! Actually the light weight feeling makes the bike easier to balance and maneuver when going slow and especially when parking in your garage. That was my one complaint about my bike. It ALWAYS felt heavy. Pushing it around my garage was always a pain.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:02 PM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh you Softail and Dyna guys are in for a real treat if you're riding an Ultra. It's a completely different world. Seems like we all agree. The nuances of the changes to the Ultra only come from having had ridden an earlier model. If your accustomed to riding a Dyna, Softail, etc...you wouldn't notice those changes. As someone pointed out you're still trying to deal with the fact that the Ultra is bigger and heavier. I'll say this much about the new '06 Ultra. It is without question easier to ride than before. Seriously! I can't reiterate enough how light the darn thing feels. It even feels lighter when picking it up off the stand. I would love to write a letter to HD to find out exactly how they changed the formula. Are there any other older Ultra riders who have ridden the '06 Ultra to make this comparison?

Old 11-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Dougyfd
Intermediate

I had an 02 ultra for 36,000 miles & the only part I had to replace was the radio mode switch. I now have an 06 & think that there are several improvements over the 02. As far as a lighter front end, I have noticed no difference from the 02. Both bikes are very steady at 80mph. The seat height feels exactly the same to me. The new radio is a night & day difference in terms of sound quality & volume over the old one. It may be that the rental you had was a clunker or you're attached to the 03 because its the anniversary year. My bike has stalled maybe 3 or 4 times on a cold start up taking off but I rarely warm the bike up for more than 30 seconds.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Bibleman
Cruiser

tda69:

I was NEVER offended, and in fact loved that you posted your candid comments. The last thing we need here are "homers" who would do nothing but post love letters to the MOCO.

You had a bike that had multiple problems. Mine, has been nothing but wonderful.

I suspect that most bikes fall somewhere in the middle (as they do with most manafacturers).