Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:47 PM
RK07
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start

Just gotan 07 RoadKing no problems until I put a "Power Commander" and new Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust. Week later, would go out on short ride (maybe 5-10miles) then park it. Be parked around 15-20 minutes; try to start the engine again but it only turns over and won't start. Wait a few minutes more and (around 25-30) and the engine would fire up again.

Problems didn't happen for about 1week or so, then got stranded because the bike wouldn't start again. The very next morning the bike starts again. Don't get what's happening.
Any help is appreciated...

RK07

Old 08-20-2007, 04:51 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Won't start

ORIGINAL: RK07

Just gotan 07 RoadKing no problems until I put a "Power Commander" and new Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust. Week later, would go out on short ride (maybe 5-10miles) then park it. Be parked around 15-20 minutes; try to start the engine again but it only turns over and won't start. Wait a few minutes more and (around 25-30) and the engine would fire up again.

Problems didn't happen for about 1week or so, then got stranded because the bike wouldn't start again. The very next morning the bike starts again. Don't get what's happening.

RK07

I just put a PCIII on my 07 Road Glide. I am having the delayed starting issue. To avoid it, I start it immediately rather than waiting for the light to go off on the speedo. I wonder if you could be having a similar issue? Have you called their tech dept.?
Steve

Old 08-20-2007, 05:19 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

I hate to tell you this, but PC`s are junk[8D].
You should never use an interface type fuel controller.. Always get a replacement ECM of have the ability to flash the OEM unit.
The PC has been problematic since its inception. All bikes I have had or know of with a PC have had issues/gremlins...Take off the PC and no problems....They fill a void for a cheap band-aid type of tuning, but flash programming of the OEM ECM or a replacement unit can`t be beat. SORRY... IMHO - You really do get what you pay for....0.02

Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1

You should never use an interface type fuel controller.. Always get a replacement ECM of have the ability to flash the OEM unit.
The PC has been problematic since its inception. All bikes I have had or know of with a PC have had issues/gremlins...Take off the PC and no problems....They fill a void for a cheap band-aid type of tuning, but flash programming of the OEM ECM or a replacement unit can`t be beat. SORRY... IMHO - You really do get what you pay for....0.02
Ouch! Just spent $289 and installed it a few days ago. Already have a gremlin (delayed starting.) I can only hope that this is the only issue I have. Time will tell. Thanks for you 2 cents. Steve

Old 08-21-2007, 04:45 PM
RK07
Stage IV

Say drdiesel,

I really appreciate the straight talk. From your experience, do you think with the Vance&Hines exhausts and matching intake, if I leave the "PC" off, will the bikeperform fine without any added stress to the engine? I took the "PC" off and the bike is performing with more power and just a little more heat.

Appreciate your opinion.

RK07

Old 08-21-2007, 08:25 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, I've had one of those "JUNK" PCIII's on mine PROBLEM FREE for 3 years now, I guess I'm just waiting for it to go bad on me huh?

But, it's your opinion, and we all have one but I bet there's just as many on here who have the PCIII with no problems at all. The newer bikes have seen more issues it seems but most of the older bikes do fine. I do agree the best way to go is to flash or OEM but that won't work for those who may be into tweaking their rides or changing to a different setup, pipes, filter, etc. because you have to pay to have another flash, etc.

"You get what you pay for" and I bet you'd never run Champion plugs in your Harley either because they're too cheap, huh?

RK07, take the PC off and run it a few days without it to see if it's actually the problem. I'd do that before I signed off on a bad PCIII....but then again, that's just MY opinion....good luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:48 AM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My MM RG trashed 3 PC3 in a year befor that I had pc 2 that never gave me trouble other the a hickup around 3000 rpms. I had the dealer hook me up with a sert tune, It starts and hits like snap of the finger. Nice thing with the pc is when your bike stops you know where to look and get back on the road running lean lean.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/6970032EC2D14058BD591D54D82E06F6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2007, 03:15 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

Say drdiesel,

I really appreciate the straight talk. From your experience, do you think with the Vance&Hines exhausts and matching intake, if I leave the "PC" off, will the bikeperform fine without any added stress to the engine? I took the "PC" off and the bike is performing with more power and just a little more heat.

Appreciate your opinion.

RK07
It`s my opinion it will run to lean. This could cause engine damage. I like and use the DTT with WEGO IID on my 07 SG.
You program and re-flash it yourself. It has auto-tune and works great. Wide band O2 sensors allow AFR`s from 10.1 to 15.0
My 07 SG runs great and has no heat issues when running in traffic.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: BGHV65

Geez, I've had one of those "JUNK" PCIII's on mine PROBLEM FREE for 3 years now, I guess I'm just waiting for it to go bad on me huh?

But, it's your opinion, and we all have one but I bet there's just as many on here who have the PCIII with no problems at all. The newer bikes have seen more issues it seems but most of the older bikes do fine. I do agree the best way to go is to flash or OEM but that won't work for those who may be into tweaking their rides or changing to a different setup, pipes, filter, etc. because you have to pay to have another flash, etc.

"You get what you pay for" and I bet you'd never run Champion plugs in your Harley either because they're too cheap, huh?

RK07, take the PC off and run it a few days without it to see if it's actually the problem. I'd do that before I signed off on a bad PCIII....but then again, that's just MY opinion....good luck!

Sorry to tell you this, but the SERT has canned maps like a PCIII. You can change it to match your setup.
The Aftermarket ECM`s come with all the software needed to re-flash the system to match your setup from a stock 88A to a 124 inch mountain motor without paying anyone anything. The good units like the DTT with WEGO IID have auto tune with wide-band O2 sensors. I run one on my 07 SG and love it. The bike runs great. I have had zero problems with it. I`m running it with Rinehart T/D`s and a SE air cleaner kit. So as I change my setup the DTT will change too. The auto-tune takes some time to finalize, but it works great and it`s easy to use..The best part is no Dyno time needed with the WEGO IID system. No one else to rely on to properly tune your bike. I do it all myself....
For what you pay for a PCII/III and dyno time, I have paid for the DTT with the WEGO IID and I control everything and update it when I change my setup..............[sm=happy046.gif]After 30 years as an automotive driveability technician it`s hard for me to let anyone touch my bikes and cars.....It`s getting harder to find anyone competent and when you go to the dealer for anything your at their mercy and the limited ability they possess

Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RK07

RK07, I've had the same problem with my bike and PCIII. It's happened three times and stranded me at work. First time I had it towed. Next two times I had my tools and removed the PCIII -- bike started right up and I rode home without it.

I just had the stage 1 download put on my ECM and the bike runs fine. Sending the PCIII back to dynojet for a replacement. Don't know if I'll try it again or just sell it.

I've heard the V&H fuelpak might be a better low price option, but not sure yet.

Good luck.

Tater

Quick Reply: Won't start