Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: "DIY MODS" WAY TO GO :)

My bars are up as high as they can go for my long arms. I'm 6'3". I may be interested in the Kuryakyn mirrors that use the same holes as the HD fairing mirrors but, I'm way more interested in finding something that will fill the holes in the fairing and look nice.
My original question stands.
Do you know for sure the tweeters will cover the holes or are you just thinking they will?

Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 PM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wally

My bars are up as high as they can go for my long arms. I'm 6'3". I may be interested in the Kuryakyn mirrors that use the same holes as the HD fairing mirrors but, I'm way more interested in finding something that will fill the holes in the fairing and look nice.
My original question stands.
Do you know for sure the tweeters will cover the holes or are you just thinking they will?
The answer is yes, you can put tweeters there. But , you'll have to put a 1" hole where the fairing mirrors were.
I did it.

As far as being reversable, yep, you can do putthe fairing mirros back ontoo. I did that too, as I decided that i didn't like the mirrors on the controls either. So I used a stick of the moldable JB weld ( yeah, that's right I saidi t, JB WELD,) ;-) to fill in the hole's and re-drilled and mounted the fairing mirros back on. Left the the tweeters flush mount bezels there too.

Here's before and afrter pics of the tweets mounted where the fairing mirrors were and then re-located to the upper fairing using the surface mounts.
( The Memphis Tweeters include 3 different mounting options. :-)

[IMG]local://upfiles/14102/47E0ADC8D97D4786A82A489D7B80E4C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14102/514CBB4CE28E42AE9DD780CE9BDF14B2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14102/75C7E6EBBB5741BE892AF445DB2D97CF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

That's what I'm talking about. Memphis Tweeters are what brand?
Where would I find them?
Thanks
For what it's worth, I'm wondering if those are model 575 wild1's, as they sure look different than mine, and I definately won't be going back to the fairing mirrors as I'm real happy with the mirrors I have on the bars. I know they aren't as sleek, but the safety value went way up when I added the bar mirrors.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:43 PM
SGLarry
Road Captain

Where would I find them?
Thanks
For what it's worth, I'm wondering if those are model 575 wild1's, as they sure look different than mine, and I definately won't be going back to the fairing mirrors as I'm real happy with the mirrors I have on the bars. I know they aren't as sleek, but the safety value went way up when I added the bar mirrors.
Check out Memphis Audio on the Web. They are the PR 15's. I got them locally here in Pittsburgh at Audio Commications.

The bars in the "before" pics are NOT 575's. I don't know who's they are, but I didn't like them ,so I swapped out for the WO 575's
which are in the "after" pics.

Larry

Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Where would I find them?
Thanks
One seller on Ebay has the Memphis tweeters listed for $50 + 15 shipping. These are the aluminum-cone variety, which I understand is best for weather resistence. I might bite on this one, although I'm still traumatized by the thought of drilling the inner fairing. I don't like altering anything on the bike permanently unless necessary, but this may qualify.

http://*******.com/2n8kv9

Do a Google search on "Memphis tweeters" and you'll find more sellers.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:02 PM
DB10881
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: texas steve

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: XfasteddieX

here is the equasion for figuringohms or resistance in series 2+4=6 ohm load

in parallel 1 devided 2 =.5 1 devided by 4 =.25 so .25+.5=.75 then devide 1 by .75 =1.33 ohms

so if you use a 2 & 4 ohm speaker in parallel your load should be1.33 ohms

if you use a 4 ohm & 4 ohm in parallel cut 4 in half so so it will be 2 ohms
If you wanted to have everything according to spec (2Ω) you could also connect the two speaker pairs (2 and 4Ω) in parallel, then connect a 2Ω resistor in series with the 2Ω speakers. That would put you at 2Ω, right?
Absloute bottom line according to the speaker and crossover people I contacted is that speakers are not pure resistive, and thefore the formuala used for resistance is technically correct, but in practice, with speakers, it is not. Their opinion is it will be fine, and dont add the resistor (according to them). Mine are working great (Polks parallel) and the sound is a great improvement. So Iclick you and I are both fine. By the way the two experts were PEZ and a crossover builder for Theil speakers.

Iclick, how did your Tigers do? I did not get to see the game!
As someone who spent 20+ years in the car audio business i agree with Pez and the others, as long as the crossover is used there is no impedence problem. This is a great idea that i am seriously going to have to consider doing myself.

Oh yeh one other thing.....GO BUCKEYES !!!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 PM
HOGMAN55
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

I Don't have Pics., But it Should be Pretty self evident in its description. I Started doing this minor mod about 20yrs ago, and it's CHEAP!
Size 14, or 15 Boots, do Not allow much room on the Floorboards, so I remove the Rear Shift Lever, and depending on the levers, I have found the Rear to be Slightly Longer, so I put it where the Front Lever goes, and leave the other lever off altogether. Then I Grab a Nice shiny Closed end Lug nut, that's close to the Shift Lever Shaft Diameter, drill the Threads out of the Lug nut, drill and tap a SMALL Hole for a Set Screw, (to Hold the Lug nut on), TRY to Drill and Tap it where the Old lever Screw would have been, there is a little Groove there.Don't forget your Loctite on the Set Screw too. There are TONS of Lug Nuts out there, so look for what YOU Like, and Go for it! Good Luck.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

One final question for you Larry.
In my case, I have painted the inner fairing and reinstalled the fairing mirrors over the paint, before I realized the 575's were blocking the mirrors. When I removed the mirrors to see what could be installed there to cover the holes, I now see a ring in the paint the same size as the mirror base. It won't buff out, I'll need to put on something that is as large as the speaker base or a ittle larger.
Do You know if the Memphis Tweeters base is large enough to not only cover the fairing mirrors holes , but also the ring left in the paint by the mirror base?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain

One final question for you Larry.
In my case, I have painted the inner fairing and reinstalled the fairing mirrors over the paint, before I realized the 575's were blocking the mirrors. When I removed the mirrors to see what could be installed there to cover the holes, I now see a ring in the paint the same size as the mirror base. It won't buff out, I'll need to put on something that is as large as the speaker base or a ittle larger.
Do You know if the Memphis Tweeters base is large enough to not only cover the fairing mirrors holes , but also the ring left in the paint by the mirror base?
If you look at the first 2 pics in my previuos post (beforeI re-located the tweeters to the upper part of the faring,) you'll notice the "flush" mount option has a bezel ring that the goes around tweeters that they mount in to. They will cover the marks left behind by the fairing mirrors. In the 3rd pic, I just re-mounted the mirrors over the bezel. As you can see the ring is wder than the the base of the mirrors, so it should cover any marks on the fairing. Now, mind you, when you mount "flush mount the tweeters in this area it's not a perfectly flat area, so the there will be a slight space on the upper and lower parts of the bezel. Looks fine IMO.

Larry

Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: DB10881
Oh yeh one other thing.....GO BUCKEYES !!!
Fear not the vest.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$