Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW1200LT

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: BMW1200LT

Little advice I could offer you here, everyone else has pretty much summed it all up. I agree that renting first is always best and having a dealer nearby that can service your bike is also important. Years go I rodea BMW K75S. It was a great bike and I enjoyed it very much.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 AM
GreyGhost
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear drive failures apply to the Newest BMW versions. The KLT is a holdover model from previous years. Different drivetrain.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Rode my BIL's LT once- it felt very top heavy & sat too high. Also forces you to sit in one upright position all the time which takes its toll on your back. Engine was buzzy and didn't make power till the higher rpm range. But once it hit about 6000+ rpm it ran strong. (IMO That's OK for a sport machine but it's not my kinda bike for touring.)
But- the power windscreen tilt feature was cool...

The saying goes (and it's very true) "You sit on a BMW, you sit in a Harley"

Old 12-09-2007, 10:52 AM
RonB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one for a while 93-94 ran fine, about like laying a frost free refrigerator on its side and putting a seat on it, no personality at all.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Mr_Bill
Tourer

Just my .02, but I cann't get past the looks of the top box on the Beemer. Looks like too flat from the back. Reminds me of a toilet tank. Beemer is smoother,faster and leans a little more toward sport than touring. 08 Ultra has upped the game with 6 gallon tank, Throtle by wire, IDS, and last but not least ABS is now a option. You will sit in the Ultra not on it. You have a much lower center of gravity, which makes ita lot easier tohandle at low speeds and balance at a stop. With all the colors available and the bikes classic style the Ultra deserves a look. But in the end it's your money and you will buy the one that trips your trigger! Good luck and whatever you get, ride it!
Regards,
Mr_Bill

Old 12-09-2007, 02:23 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Well my .02 worth is this....after 7 bikes I like my EGC the best. All the others were Triumphs, Nortons, Honda's and My last one was a C-50 Suzuki. All had their good and bad points. I really got sick of hearing that I had to take the other bikes in to the dealers for valve adjustments. I used to do my own except on the C50...you need little bitty fingers to get it done. I had looked at a Gold Wing this time.Honda Gw was every 30000 I think. I got the HD for its soul and the fact tht the valves are self adjusting. I think HD started with the self ajusting valves in 1947. So in this day and age of modern technology why on earth do I have to bring a bike back to a dealer from 4000 to 20000 miles depending on the bike for valve adjustment? It just drives me crazy!!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 02:40 PM
GreyGhost
Cruiser

Yeah, and with the KLT's 16 valves and shim under bucket desigh, it's a major service. Those old "flying brick" engines are rock solid though. They were introduced in 84 or 85.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:57 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Rent first andtake them on long rides, if possible. You would be surprised what a long ride will do for your decision making process. I thought I had my mind made up on a particular bike until I rode my two chioces for over 500 miles each in a day. My choice was made for me.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
MrHd1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LT is a helluva bike. Had a chance to put some miles on one about a year ago. The radio will blow you off the seat. The electric centerstand is too trick and the reverse gear is much needed. I would bet it's nota heck of alot lighter than an EG though. Performance is at the top of the luxo-tourers (beats the GW in both acceleration and top end) ntm any HD including the SE ultra.

Have owned a BMW (different model) and they are an amazing ride with their own unique engineering that works!

All that having been said if I had your choice to make (buying either new) I would choose the HD ultra or Roadglide depending on your fairing preference. Get the anti-lock brake option and I've no doubt you will be one happy camper!

BK

Old 12-09-2007, 03:17 PM
gunnert
Road Captain

I have a solution! BOTH! I'm a daily commuter (105 miles round trip) into DC. I have an 05 R1200RT I use for that. My wife hates riding on the back of the Beemer, she prefers the comfort of the Road King. The LT is the cadillac of touring. I'm surprised at the maintenance issues other have had with their beemer. I had a couple of miner problems that were covered by the warranty (which by the way is bumper to bumper 3 year/36K). I put 60,000 on an 02 RT. I've had the 05 a little over a year and put 21,000 on it (5 months it was not ridden due to a wreck I had on the Road King). The only maintenance I do is change tires/oil/filters/etc. The BMW in the long run is a LOT cheaper than a Harley. The BMW you may change the seat or windshield or footpegs, stuff like that. The expense for most of us that own Harley's BEGINS when we get it home and start adding EVERYTHING. I'd ride either cross country. When asked the difference between Road Kingand BMW??? I think the Harley is comfortable and predictable up to about 80 miles an hour. Any faster and you had better have a handful of handlebars and be on your game. The BMW BEGINS to excel and settles down nicely at 80+ miles an hour...
I recently talked a good friend (50 year old retired FBI agent) out of buying a Sportser for his first bike. He bought an 05 LT and sure does smile a lot.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18192/7A8775CA97414F89B40F5641E9FF338F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: BMW1200LT