Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky front breaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:23 PM
MJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squeaky front breaks

How long dose it take to swap the rotors?

Old 12-25-2007, 12:22 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

ORIGINAL: masterblaster

I changed the rear to HD floating cgromed rotor when I did the IDS, great result,Changed to Lyndalls at 2000k to get rid of squeek and dust on the WW tires. HD rotor is great compare to stock. Will change the front to HD floating when the tire wears out.
masterblaster Please go out and try to move your rotor sideways. Is it riveted to the carrier or does it move freely? If it moves freely, it floats. If the friction ring is riveted to the carrier and does not move, you do not have a floating rotor, you have a 2 piece rotor. There is a fix, however, and yes, there is a performance difference. Hoped you did not get scammed by Harley.

For the noise issue, try and take your calipers off and clean them along with taking 1/8" of flat steel to take the place of the rotor. Than squeeze the brake lever to extend your pistons out. Sinister brake dust is sometimes the culprit. The corrosive dust collects around the piston and eventually does not let the piston retract fully, hence, the squeal, premature wear and warped rotors. For the proper procedure for brake cleaning and what grease you can buy go[here]

Old 12-25-2007, 01:17 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a '04 rk custom. I have a '05. I had the same issue. When I took the bike to the dealer (under warranty), they filled the chrome dome wheel spacers with a foam/silicone. That stopped my squeal. Now, when I read about the bullitin, I had the rotors swapped, as well. The foam/silicone worked, but thought I might as well swap the rotors, since it was listed, and covered for free. I haven't swapped out pads, haven't bought new rotors, and did not spend one dime to get it fixed... Go to the dealer and tell them about the chrome dome wheel spacers. Apparently when the brakes vibrate, it create a harmonic sound, which is what you hear...

Old 12-25-2007, 01:30 AM
JohnC88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 came from the factory with the rotors already swapped. That did not stop them from squeeking. Just last week I replaced the factory pads with the Lyndalls. With just over 100 miles on them I have no squeeks and no complaints. Before going to the expense of replacing rotors I would try the Lyndall pads.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:21 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lyndall Z pads are outstanding......