Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AVC - NOT WORKING?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 PM
bobmurdy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVC - NOT WORKING?

Hi, I purchased a second hand 2006 FLHT from a dealership that had installed a harley CD/Radio for the previous owner on the bike. I have since fitted a Harley cruise control system and it works absolutely perfect (initiation setup completed).

However what I have noticed is that the AVC is not functioning (although everything else on the bike is) and cannot be called up on the radio diagnostic system.

Before I try to get a replacement set to see if there is a fault with player I was wondering if somewhere I have missed a trick and not made a connection which is the link between the bikes speed and the radio?

When I fitted the cruise control the instruction that came with the part said that there was an additional black wire and this should be taped up out of the way?

I owned an Ultra before so I understand how the system is supposed to work?

Grateful for any suggestions (keep em clean).

Limey Bob

Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Sillverback
Tourer
Default RE: AVC - NOT WORKING?

Funny...I didn't even know I had the AVC until I read the owners manual. I was pretty amazed that a bike could have speed sensitive volume control. All I know about it is that you can turn it from hi, to low and off using the handlebar controls. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29179/341634A0F43149368B10BBCF74577259.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29179/B377E480C62E45E088D9BF036F13DC98.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 05 and my AVC resets back to default anytime I disconnect the battery. Unfurtunately the 05 radio is different so I don't know if the instructions will work or not. Here are the steps for the 05. I guess it's worth a try.

1. Press and hold any 2 preset buttons on the radio panel while turning the igition switch on. ( initions or access)
2. Press the Lo/Dx button to cycle through the Diagnostics screens. Sopt at the AVC Screen.
3. Use the MODE SEL switch on the handle bar controls to adjust the AVC Up or Down. High level - more compensation
4. After selection AVC Level press Lo/Dx button until receiver reverts back to normal radio operation.

I'm sure someone will speak up if this is will not work for an 06.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:18 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

when yawl get this AVC thing figured out, please let me know what you did to get it to work.
I'd like to install it on my mother-in-law[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-09-2008, 11:43 AM
bobmurdy
Novice

Hi, took your advice and gained access to the AVC. Haven't had time to take the bike out since adjusting to level 5 so watch this space for a further update.How come the Harley manual doesn't spell it out as easily as you did?

Bob

Old 03-09-2008, 04:55 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I'm glad you got it setup. I like the feature, I hope it work well for you. What I gave you was pretty much right out of my owners manual ... maybe HD hired a new Technical writer for 06 .lol

Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 AM
bobmurdy
Novice

Triled the audio system today with the AVC up full and still no joy. I reckon my next option is to find someone with a working unit and try it on my bike.

Bob

Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 AM
harleykris
Tourer

My volume control on my 06 is a bit tricky too. Here's what I did and it seems to do the trick for me. I get the bike up to about 70mph with the radio on but the volume turned all the way down. Then get to my avc setting and put it on the highest setting, while still keeping your speed up turn the volume up as high as you can before things start to distort. For some reason, at least on my bike it seems to fix my volume problems. Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 AM
scaires as hell
Cruiser

My AVC is better if I set it half volume or lower. Does't like high volume settings.

07 ultra Ride on !!!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I've never been able to tell a difference in the settings from low to high. Not even sureif the difference from low to high is supposed to be a lot or a little.

Quick Reply: AVC - NOT WORKING?