Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFTERMARKET CD PLAYER

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 AM
HENTER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFTERMARKET CD PLAYER

anybody have any advice as to if its worth my time and effort to install a Sony in dash CD player on my 88 FLTC... will the vibration affect the performance of this thing? Remember, this is an old school rubber mounted EVO and as many are aware, at idle that motor feels like its gonna jump out of the frame.....any advice is appreciated!!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: AFTERMARKET CD PLAYER

CD Player? That is as old school as your bike. Probably worth a new stereo but I would focus on an IPod or other MP3 device.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:23 AM
a911scanner
Cruiser

+1 on the MP3 player focus. Need to have a head unit that has an "aux in" as changing CD's is out of the question when riding. Yes, the MP3 loaded disc will solve that.

As for an aftermarket head unit...after 15 years in that industry, I would not recommend using anything other than factory. Yes, the aftermarket products would be better for 95% of the functions & sound quality, but you will now have a "theft magnet" out in the open.

Better to use the factory deckthen add an amp & some speakers..then the criminals won't know that it's better than the "crappy" factory head unit and they will walk away.

We used this methodology for years with cars...criminals don't want factory stereos & what they can't see they don't realize is worth stealing.

MM

Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Better to use the factory deckthen add an amp & some speakers
The problem with that is that the newer factory units with CD/mp3 capability do not fit the older bikes. It's either use the old factory radio/tape player as is (which I currently do), or upgrade to something else.

Biketronics http://www.biketronics.com/touring.html makes a package/kit to update older bikes (mine's an '89) that uses the existing factory controls. I've been looking at their site and wondering about how good the package is (it supposedly includes everything you need, including the Sony radio/player and upgraded speakers) and how easy it would be to install. Maybe others here have already gone this route -- any experience to share?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:46 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

DO a SEARCH..... SONY....BIKETRONICS....or just RADIO....ALOT on this subject!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!! RW...

Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: rivercityslim

Better to use the factory deckthen add an amp & some speakers
The problem with that is that the newer factory units with CD/mp3 capability do not fit the older bikes. It's either use the old factory radio/tape player as is (which I currently do), or upgrade to something else.

Biketronics http://www.biketronics.com/touring.html makes a package/kit to update older bikes (mine's an '89) that uses the existing factory controls. I've been looking at their site and wondering about how good the package is (it supposedly includes everything you need, including the Sony radio/player and upgraded speakers) and how easy it would be to install. Maybe others here have already gone this route -- any experience to share?
Mines a '94.. bought the Biketronics interface.. (one good thing about older bikes.. the adapter for the body isn't needed.. Just the inteface for the controls..) love mine.. now that my AVC is working.. love it even more.. I bought a MEX-1GP Sony off of Ebay brand new.. and saved about 100$ instead of buying the package.. it also has a removable front panel.. so you cant tell what brand you have.. and if some low life wants to take mine.. they will have to take the whole fairing because it was a bear to get it in... ( modified the install just a tad.. )

Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Ogre
Intermediate

A friend of mine just insalled a radio on his 99 FLH. He found a marine grade radio with CD player. They are cheaper than most and it sounded fine.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ogre

A friend of mine just insalled a radio on his 99 FLH. He found a marine grade radio with CD player. They are cheaper than most and it sounded fine.
A marine radio is a good option for a motorcycle.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:45 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior

I have the Biketroics retro radio package, also added XM. Works great and good customer service....

JD