Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Rider For Roadking? :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Buellrunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short Rider For Roadking? :)

Hey all,

Need some advice...Im considering a Roadking Classic or a Streetglide. I love them, but Im worried that at 5"4 with a 29 inch inseam and 150lbs, they may be too much bike for me to handle. I may be forced to go with a Lowrider or a 1200 Low....

I love to tour though..so, a tourer would have been great.

Can a Dyna series motorcycle handle long hauls (500 miles avg) as comfortably as the Roadkings if I mount a big sheild and bags?

Is there anyway to get a Roadking down as low as a lowrider without compromising the handling? The weight of the Tourers are easier to handle with both feet on the ground...If the bikes were lighter, I would be ok with one foot on ground (like I am on the Dyna's and Sportys). Also, How do the brakes on the new tourers compare to the Dyna and Sporty brakes? Good brakes and handling are very important to me (I currently ride a Buell)...

I also noticed that the seats on the kings are far wider than the Dyna's...This probably makes a big difference...Any help or siggestions would be great.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Short Rider For Roadking? :)

you can lower the RKC 1" and should be fine, in fact I think the street glide goes down also and the bat fairing helps touring, not to mention tunes.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Hedog
Advanced

The lowering kit, different shocks (progressive), and different seat all work together to get you lowered down. Let some air out of the tires..........that was a joke..[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you sat on the SG? I have a Road King Classic and recently sat on the SG. The height of the SG seemed much lower to me, the bike seemed lighter than the RK. I would be concerned about lowering them. I have scrapped my floorboards at factory height. Talk to your dealer about different seat options. Ask them to put a narrow seat on for you to see if it fits better.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I always get a kick out of these threads about us short or light folks wondering if they could ride a touring bike. I was at a dealership a couple years ago with my DYNA and watched a lady cop pull in on a Electaglide police bike. She was bringing it in for service. She could not have been over 5'2" and I'm guessing she weighed under 120 lbs. She was having no trouble manuvering the bike around at all. After seeing that, I got an Ultraclassic for myself (and I'm only 5'7" and 156 lbs). It is a very easy bike to ride for us "little people". Rent one for a couple hours and you'll see for yourself.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
rjgraham
Tourer

I know a few short chicks with SG's, they just can't back them up very well.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 AM
swilsondds
Cruiser

I have a RK. At 5'9" and a 30 inch inseam, I have no problem at all. Buy the bike you want and learn to ride it well. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Buellrunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys. Im going to give them a try this weekend at a demo ride. I cant see how a Roadking can be that much more comfortable for distance than a lowrider since both models have 6 speeds and a TC motor with rubber mounting...

Love the Lowrider and Superglide Custom, love the RK Classic, and love the Streetglide. Maybe I should go the usual "get the one that fits your body best" route....

Why do I think Im going to end up on a Lowrider with Bags and a Sheild!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

If you really want a bagger get it. Just depends on what you want.I have a 29 1/2" inseam and have a loweredfront and rear 07 EGC with stock seat and normal boots I am flat footed. Before that I had a 97 RK with a lowprofile seat and the 11" progressive 440's on the rear to lower it. Between suspension and seat changes including getting it cut down by meancity ifyou need to,you should be able to make it fit you the way you want.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will definitely have to lower. You might want toshave down the side of the seat or change it to allow you to place both feet down on the ground comfortablely

Quick Reply: Short Rider For Roadking? :)