Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog Tunes for '09 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Kato
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hog Tunes for '09 Street Glide

I'm another touring new comer...just wondering what my options are for upgrading the SG stereo. Will the upgraded speakers alone make a big difference, or do I need to add an amp as well? It was a little unclear to me from the Hog Tunes website if I can add an amp to the SG or not. It looked like the amps were only for the UC type setups. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:48 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kato
I'm another touring new comer...just wondering what my options are for upgrading the SG stereo. Will the upgraded speakers alone make a big difference, or do I need to add an amp as well? It was a little unclear to me from the Hog Tunes website if I can add an amp to the SG or not. It looked like the amps were only for the UC type setups. Thanks in advance.

I think the upgraded speakers help. It does not get a lot LOUDER, but they stay Clear when cranked up and don't distort as much. The amp is normally sold as part of the ultrasound setup, but I think Pez has sold it on its own before, BUT, if your gonna do that, you need to tell him, as he has two different ohm rated speakers, and the Amp needs the ones that normally come as part of the 4 speaker kit, not the ones that you would just connect to the stock stereo. FWIW, I DO think the amp improves even more on his front speakers.

If you just did the front speakers NOW, and want to add the amp later, you would have to change the speakers again to the correct ohm rated ones. Of course, if you just add the front speakers now, and later add the rear speakers and amp, THEN the front speakers move to the back pods, and you get new ones for the front that are compatible with the amp.

Or, if you add the amp and speakers to the front NOW, then add the rear pods later, you can re-use your stock speakers in the back, OR get upgraded ones from him for the back.

Does that make sense?

Call Pez, he's a great guy and will answer any of your questions.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
EddyD
Banned

Pez at HogTunes will fix ya up with a plug n' play amp for the front speakers. Give him a call.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

before spending the big bucks for these mediocre setups give Firecap501 a hollar. he has arc audio setups available that will blow hogtunes or jm or hawg wired setups out of the water. arc audio amps are 1 of the cleanest sounding smallest in the fairing amps you cam buy. there are many posts on this subject, check em out

Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
I think the upgraded speakers help. It does not get a lot LOUDER, but they stay Clear when cranked up and don't distort as much.
I first added the Hogtunes speakers, which didn't provide much if any volume increase but gave a fuller sound with more bass that is almost totally lacking in the stock speakers. I consider it a worthwhile upgrade for $100.

Most or all of the audible distortion is introduced by the head unit, and the only way to help this situation is to add a booster amp that provides a DB increase like the Hogtunes amp or replace the whole head unit with one that has higher output.

The amp is normally sold as part of the ultrasound setup, but I think Pez has sold it on its own before, BUT, if your gonna do that, you need to tell him, as he has two different ohm rated speakers, and the Amp needs the ones that normally come as part of the 4 speaker kit, not the ones that you would just connect to the stock stereo.
Pez sells only one amp and it can take either speaker (2Ω or 5.75Ω), but cranks out more power with the 2Ω speakers, 32W vs. 24W/ch RMS according to Pez. He says he's measured the stock head unit at 18W/ch. RMS. While the speakers alone give the stereo a meaningful sound improvement, the amp multiplies that again two-fold. With the speaker and amp upgrades bass finally makes its way back to the rider at highway speeds, and IMO once you add the amp you will not be happy without it.

Even with the upgrades, the problem is that distortion still comes from the head unit as before, but the amp adds up to 3DB of overall output in addition to 10DB of extra bass. This means that at a given head-unit output you are getting more distortion-free sound output. I still hear distortion at times when it's really blasting, sometimes when just playing certain songs, but it is not as much of a problem.

If you just did the front speakers NOW, and want to add the amp later, you would have to change the speakers again to the correct ohm rated ones.
The amp works with either the 2Ω (stock spec) or 5.75Ω speakers, or any impedence between 2 and 6Ω according to Pez, but the lower-resistence speakers allow more power for the amp. You may be referring to adding a second pair of Hogtunes speakers later, either for use in lowers or in the rear, which may require 5.75Ω since I think he has these wired in parallel. I wonder if you couldn't just wire the speakers in series and get 4Ω? I'd like to know the answer to this myself, as I've toyed with the idea of adding two in the lower fairing glove box.

I'm not sure what speaker-impedence is provided with the Ultrasound system of four speakers, as I don't run rears. I think the stock head unit drives 2Ω speakers in front while the amp drives two 5.75Ω speakers in the rear. This way the rear speakers don't over-power the fronts.

You can buy the 2Ω speakers now, then add the amp later, which is what I did. BTW, you can only order the amp alone directly from Pez, as it isn't a standard item, nor is it even on his website. When I bought mine about six months ago it cost $217 including shipping. Although I haven't heard other systems, I consider this money well-spent.

Last edited by iclick; 08-15-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Kato
Intermediate

Great info guys, thanks!!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Roaddog359
Cruiser

Originally Posted by blueflht
before spending the big bucks for these mediocre setups give Firecap501 a hollar. he has arc audio setups available that will blow hogtunes or jm or hawg wired setups out of the water. arc audio amps are 1 of the cleanest sounding smallest in the fairing amps you cam buy. there are many posts on this subject, check em out
Hey Guys, I am new in here but have had several bikes. I currently ride a 2003 road king classic and have a 2009 street glide coming in Sept. My questions are on the speakers and upgrading them. Looking for the best out there and need some help. Hogtunes, j&M, cycle sounds are 3 that I have looked at which is the better of the 3? Also In the quote above there is talk about arc do they make speakers for the street glide? Where do these speakers rate? Do they have 2ohm speakers?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:53 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

roaddog359 arc does have speakers available. if you are running an amp to power the speakers 2 ohm or 4 ohm are easy to use as the amp powers them not the radio.

iclick on the 6 way setup the amp runs the front 4 speakers while the radio powers the rear according to the hogtunes website

Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Roaddog359
Cruiser

I believe the 2009's are 2ohm's. Do you have any info on the speakers or the cost for 2 speakers. So I can swap out the front stock ones. Do I haave to power these speakers with an external amp? How or where do I order them from? Is anyone in here using these speakers? I see alot of hogtunes and cycle sounds. But you think the arc are better and loudere with no distortion? What about water resistance? Thanks

Old 08-20-2008, 12:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Roaddog359
I believe the 2009's are 2ohm's. Do you have any info on the speakers or the cost for 2 speakers. So I can swap out the front stock ones. Do I haave to power these speakers with an external amp? How or where do I order them from? Is anyone in here using these speakers? I see alot of hogtunes and cycle sounds. But you think the arc are better and loudere with no distortion? What about water resistance? Thanks
You can get the speakers on Ebay or direct from Hogtunes (cheaper on Ebay). The amp helps greatly but will cost another $217 and is available only from Hogtunes. As for distortion, this is a factor of the head unit, not the speakers--so distortion will still be present at louder volumes. The speakers will simply give you fuller sound quality. The amp provides an extra 10db of bass and up to 3 db. overall, which helps keep the head unit under the clipping point. Thus, with the amp you can realize a louder volume without distortion, and sound quality is another two steps higher than the speakers alone, IMO.

It's more a matter of how much money you want to spend. IMO the speakers give you $100-worth of quality improvement, and the amp another $217 worth, and once you move upward you will become spoiled and won't want to go back. I can't speak for Hog Wired and other systems that cost much more since I haven't heard them, but they too may be worth every penny you spend. It's just a matter of how much money you want to let go of and how unhappy you are about the status quo.