Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD !!! Handlebar Shake on 2009 FLHRC

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told that it happens because of the new mount at the top front of the engine.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 PM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dunlop tire 407 model is being replaced by a dunlop 408 within a few weeks..end april 2009!
Go to ur dealer and tell them you want the new tire. Thats what i did! Hd knows there is a problem with the 407 tire !

Old 04-01-2009, 01:58 PM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer did the neck bearing torque..no change.. Hd admits to a tire issue with t he new 407 dunlop.... They now have a dunlop 408 replacement tire .. Im getting one in a few weeks...end april 2009 ,,, as hd knows there is an issue with the 407 !

Old 04-01-2009, 03:27 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And next time, pull over and zip your sleeves. Common sense man, use it.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 AM
deezee
Cruiser

Ladies and Gentlemen Nick56 might be on to something!

I had the same problem and my dealers service department didnt rest till they figured the problem out. They started with the neck bearings and worked their way down to the tire. The tech pulled 2 ounces off the front wheel and put a new tire on, now the problem is completely gone(for now). The boys over at Bumpus in Jackson didnt just do what they had to do to get by, the did the right thing and chased down the problem till it was fixed.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:40 PM
A-ARAWN
Stage IV

Originally Posted by mile high king
That phenomenon is a common occurance on motorcycles. I have had it occur on almost every bike I have owned in certain situations. Here is some info from (gasp!) Wingworldmag.com that I think explains it pretty clearly

The Tank Slapper
The most often complained about handling quirk is a handlebar oscillation that’s referred to by many as a “tank slapper.” This condition, which has a frequency range of eight to ten cycles per second, normally occurs when the handlebars are released while the bike is coasting down through some speed between 45 and 35 miles per hour. The handlebars will behave like a fluttering shopping cart wheel. As it begins, the handlebars begin to wiggle from side to side with the arc widening very quickly. If the hands aren’t quickly placed back on the bars, the bars will oscillate quickly from lock to lock, sending the machine out of control and the rider to the ground. While overly loose stem bearing adjustment will aggravate this condition, it is not, in itself, the cause of it. The degree to which any bike is prone to exhibit handlebar oscillation is linked to the size of the wheel/tire assembly, the rake and trail dimensions, the total unsprung weight of the front end, and the natural frequency of that unsprung weight. It is also affected by tire/wheel runout, tire imbalance, loose steering stem bearings, loose swingarm bearings, loose wheel bearings, loose engine mounts, worn tires, and tire pressure. Regardless of the existence of the above maladies, a bike will not normally go into a tank slapper while your hands are on the bars providing the necessary damping.
Many different makes and models of motorcycle exhibit handlebar oscillation during coast down at around 40 mph with hands off the bars. This is because the frequencies of the oscillation and of the wheel imbalance or runout come into line, while gyroscopic stabilization of the wheel is low. If you insist on removing your hands from the bars in an attempt to produce this symptom, and if you refuse to accept its presence, check and adjust all of the points mentioned above. If all is well but you still aren’t satisfied, you may wish to consider installing a hydraulic steering damper on your bike. However, the last thing you want to do is intentionally over-tighten the stem bearings to provide additional hands-off damping.
Thank you for writing this post. Very well written and something that I will be print out for my clients.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Cmeo
Intermediate

I know this is an old post but I’m going to share what happened to me 10 years later lol ... I got a 2017 cvo street glide and started having the same issue. I’ve rode to Florida straight from ny, New Hampshire, Maine , and recently Canada. Everything was fine with the bike until I rode the awesome roads of Quebec Ottawa and Montreal . I thought nyc roads were bad ! So I took it to my preferred dealer and they charged me to look at it and told me nothing was wrong with the bike, they checked the rotors bearings and psi, they stated that the bike had 8 pounds lower which I think it’s bs because its A cvo i check my pressure all the time not only that but if it was true that it was that low wouldn’t it be common sense to check the rim ? .. well I grabbed my bike I told them hey I won’t debate with you guys I know you guys are the techs but I’m the one that rides this thing . And I know how it sounds and how it feels and when something is not right I know. Took it to another dealer came out that the front wheel is bent in both sides. Would you look at that. A few ppl had told me it could be the neck bearings so let’s see how the bike behaves when I get it back.
Question. What causes the neck bearings to get out of adjustment ?

Old 08-02-2019, 12:40 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

I can not answer the latest poster’s question, but I question why this thread was resurrected at all.

The OP did not (as far as I can tell) post a resolve to the problem they were noticing.

Although there are a few issues that may have caused the problem posted, was it caused by an issue that HD iService Bulletin M-1258A addressed?