Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Front fairing

When I pick up my SG, I want to take apart the batwing so I can paint the inner fairing. How difficult is it to remove the inner fairing? Do they have the manuals for the 09 Touring bikes in the dealers yet?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those instructions are for the batwing rather than the inner fairing. The inner fairing is much more involved with gauge removal. If you give it a shot, let me know. I'd like to do mine this coming winter.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:31 PM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once you have it open take pictures of where every thing is the use patience and you can take all the gauges and harnesses off stereo if you have one and speakers all pretty easy with a small amount of skill ,remember patience hard part might be when putting the ignition switch back in you have to line it up ,I use a long thin screwdriver to do it ,there is a small pin under the ignition cap that has to be pushed in when removing it

Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey brihvac...

I did mine this past weekend on my '08 Ultra. I used the HD Service Manual, took my time...and replaced the matt finished unit with a Vivid Black one to match my paint. What a difference! It looks awesome! It's not complicated...just a little tedious. I took advantage of having the fairing off to install a Hawg Wired amp, speakers and grills, an oil temp guage, Kisan Headlight Modulator, garage door opener and the CVO styled turn signals/aux lamp setup. I also swapped the locations of the speedometer and tachometer (don't ask me why...I just like the tach sweeping on the left instead of the right).

You can do it brihvac...good luck!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Im pretty good at that stuff. It cant be much more tedious than doing chrome control switch covers. Is it worth replacing the speakers while I have the inner fairing off? Im not going to do anything but speakers. Is it worth it. If so ,what brand.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:19 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey brihvac...

All I can say about the speakers is...DO IT! When you yank the front fairing cover off you will notice exactly how cheap the factory units are! Although more power helps to 'seal the deal' on buying a stereo upgrade, just swapping speakers would help to make a big improvement!

Note...you only have to take the front half of the batwing off to swap speakers...even if you don't do it now it would be very simple later if you wanted to wait.

Good luck...

Steve

Old 09-18-2008, 04:28 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd recommend if you're taking it apart to do some soundproofing on the inside of the outer fairing. There's someplace on EBay that sells it really cheap and there was a great thread to walk you through the process. Here's the thread to the ebay product you will need to do it. You might search soundproofing, fairing on the forum to find the exact thread. This thread talked about how much more effective and efficient his radio was after, and that he recommended it to all. Hope this helps: http://cgi.ebay.com/10-sqft-R-BLOX-S...QQcmdZViewItem