Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler rubber mount fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Muffler rubber mount fix

The muffler rubber mounts in the rear wear out, and dry out very quickly due to the heat, they become loose, hard, rattle and squeak.

I discovered a quick fix. First the mufflers must slide within the rubber mount. They move with the engine torque. Do not tie them down or prevent them from moving or something else will break within the exhaust system.

Remove the two small bolts and slide out the bracket on the rear of the muffler under the bag mounts. Lubricate the rubber bushing with silicone inside top and bottom along with the bracket you just removed. Reinstall the bracket upside down (you will need to force in) and line up the bolt holes. Snug down the bolts, be sure to use blue loctite. Rattle and looseness stopped, and the muffler can still move with the engine. Clean any excess silicone spray off the mufflers with acitone or mineral spirits. Keep the silicone off the floor !!! Put news paper under your work area. Trust me on this one.

Steve

Old 03-29-2006, 12:16 AM
SubZer0
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Muffler rubber mount fix

Maybe we should add this to the do it your self section?

Old 03-29-2006, 12:26 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Muffler rubber mount fix

Steve,

I have found that a little brake fluid on the rubber mount also works well. Brake fluid will treat, lubricate, and restore the rubber without causing deterioation. I have a small oil can that I keep full of brake fluid and at every service I give the rubber mounts a little shot.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Geezer_Glide
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Trying to save $4.00 ?

It's easier to solve this correctly. If you've gone to the trouble to take off the muffler mount, just REPLACE the rubber bushings, rather than jerry-rig the assembly. These things cost $2.00 each, and are the ONLY things H-D sells that cost under a left nut.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:07 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

I'm bringing this thread to the top. I've been having this rattling problem myself shortly after the bike warms up. Now I know it's the muffler mount. Anyone have a Harley part number for the rubber mount?

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 07-06-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:39 PM
boom23
Tourer

From the 2009 Touring Parts Catalog: 65724-85.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:43 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
I'm bringing this thread to the top. I've been having this rattling problem myself shortly after the bike warms up. Now I know it's the muffler mount. Anyone have a Harley part number for the rubber mount?
Not necessarily, Had a similar rattle when I was running the Rush slip-on's with the 2" baffles. Turns out it was the baffle itself rattling inside the left side muffler.

After emailing Jamie at FuelMoto who advised me to removed the baffle and tapered the end of it to make it fit a little more snug inside the muffler. After I did this the rattle was gone.

So if you change out the rubber mounts and still have the rattle you might want to give it a try.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain

I thought my baffle was rattling too. Took off the saddlebags and grabbed to mufflers one at a time wearing a leather glove. Thought maybe the rubber mount might be the culprit, thought it was a longshot but disassembled the mount/plate. Used vasaline so it would not eat the rubber and sure as hell the rattle is gone. seems strange anything made of rubber casuing a rattle noise

Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just give it a squirt of WD40. End of problem.

Quick Reply: Muffler rubber mount fix