Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHT vs. FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfoster80
The Street Glide has all the bare bones options with alot of factory custom features. You really cant beat the price diff. from the standard to the street glide. For a couple more thousand $$ you get a black and chrome motor, radio, sporty mirrors and turn signals, the seat and so on.

I thought about getting a standard but sat down did the math and found its alot cheaper to buy a street glide then buying a standard and then putting a bunch of money into upgrades.
And it's actually cheaper to buy a EG Classic than a SG + add-ons. I also did the math & brother bought a SG a few weeks before I bought my Classic. He has more money in his bike than I do mine.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM
BillinNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about getting a standard but sat down did the math and found its alot cheaper to buy a street glide then buying a standard and then putting a bunch of money into upgrades.
When I did the math, I got to a very different answer. The SG has a lot of cool bling, but I knew I would be adding additional lights, a new seat and windshield right off the bat. That added $600-800 on top of the $2000 MSRP spread. I opted for a Standard with lowered shocks and added a Biketronics stereo system for $500.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

It also depends what type of riding you will be doing...I bought a SG when they first came out....Loved the looks....But it wasn't the same ride for touring...Also spent a lot of money such as Detach. tour pack, etc.
If doing lots of travel EG is the best Buy and ride(comfortable that is).
Just my opinion and everyone's got'em.
Ride Safe

Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Stevenml155
Tourer

I found that I can get an EG Classic out the door with the quick release for the tour pak for 21K. That allows me to take the trunk off and have all the goodies for the same amount of cash. I think it's all what you are looking for - I couldn't justify spending the same or more on a SG with less on it than the EG Classic. Throw off the trunk, slam on a diff't seat and I'm good to go for around town - but also have the goodies for a long haul. Worked for me, maybe not for you though.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I went in to the dealer to buy a 2009 EG Classic cuz I figured it was the smartest move to make. I wanted style, but I wanted a tour-pak too. I was ready to make the deal and I saw this Black Ice/Blue Ice Street Glide sitting there. I was a goner. Oh well, maybe next time I'll make the smart move.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I liked both..but knew that I would change a lot on the SG. So in my case, put the savings on the EGS into making it the way I want it.

Last edited by YtseJam; 12-04-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by ga4boats
I went back and forth and also went with the street glide. I have since put the bag gaurds on it in case of a parking lot mishap. I do like the denim black and in my opinion, rs4lf's bike is one of the nicest looking ones I have seen lately on this forum.
I agree

Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks

Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Cuff
Advanced

love my Street Glide Period...

Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 PM
quint
Tourer

The Street Glide has all the bare bones options with alot of factory custom features. You really cant beat the price diff. from the standard to the street glide. For a couple more thousand $$ you get a black and chrome motor, radio, sporty mirrors and turn signals, the seat and so on.

Cfoster80 has nailed it. I also bought a SG after looking at the must-have improvements that I would make to a EGS or EGC. By the time you add some chrome, a radio, etc, you have already spent more than the two grand difference, and when you go to sell it, you're selling an Electra Glide rather than a Street Glide.

However, I saw an Electra Glide in Denim Black and it looked awesome. The dealer added some extras, like lowered rear suspension, custom seat, and some extra black trim (like forks, engine parts, etc). It looked absolutely killer. But it would cost a few $$$ to do that, and the SG looks pretty darn good right outta the box.

Quick Reply: FLHT vs. FLHX