Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Oil Leak

Help
My 08 Classic with 5800 miles has a slight oil leak about the size of a 50cent piece in a week of sitting in the garage. The bike was dealer serviced at 5K and started this little leak I tightened the oil filter as I thought this was the problem, but it continues I wonder if I overtightened it or if the dealer didn't check the filter gasket or its damaged and or crushed. The leak seems to becoming from that area, and sometimes Ill get a little oil in the are of the lower motor mount near the voltage regulator. It seems as if the leak runs down the braided cable strapped to the right side frame tube, then drips to the ground. I put it on the jack got underneath could find a leak or oil sepage on the engine! This also happened at a 3K oil change by the dealer. Any suggestions and help Id appreciate, its clean oil leaking, just annoying and with the weather I cant get to the dealer. Like I said I tightened the oil filter with a wrench very tight and wonder if I myself crushed the gasket and am causing a leak thanks Bill

Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds kinda like spilled oil finally finding it's way to the floor after a sloppy service.....
Oil will lay in and under stuff and drip out when it gets good and ready. This happened to me once and I cleaned the area well with brake cleaner spray and it stopped.
My problem area is the oil cooler, oil will run down between the cooler and bracket and drip when warmed up.

Mark

Old 01-10-2009, 03:28 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Sounds kinda like spilled oil finally finding it's way to the floor after a sloppy service.....
Oil will lay in and under stuff and drip out when it gets good and ready. This happened to me once and I cleaned the area well with brake cleaner spray and it stopped.
My problem area is the oil cooler, oil will run down between the cooler and bracket and drip when warmed up.

Mark
I have to agree with that. How to take care of it? Use a degreaser spray, let it soak in a while then hose off and do your own oil changes from now on. You never take a wrench to an oil filter to tighten it, never.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 01-10-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
I have to agree with that. How to take care of it? Use a degreaser spray, let it soak in a while then hose off and do your own oil changes from now on. You never take a wrench to an oil filter to tighten it, never.
Ditto

Old 01-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to make sure you get all the oil off the front mount if there is any, or you'll be replaceing that too.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:55 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimbob
You might want to make sure you get all the oil off the front mount if there is any, or you'll be replaceing that too.
Yep!!That's probably why they dumped oil on it.......150.00 sure bet service visit..

Mark

Old 01-10-2009, 06:04 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Default Oil Leak

Thanks Guys I appreciate so many responses I did clean the front mount once with S100 Ill do it again as soon as the weather breaks and I can hose it down> Yeah the oil change between the 1K and 5K service was $95.00 they even charged for supplies, when I asked the service manager what that was as I had already been charged for parts and labor in the Oil Change he replied"oh the supplies are rags and paper towels used during the oil change!!! DUH!! my Volvo goes to the dealer for a oil change and that is only $39.00 and they have a lounge donuts coffee machine all free and they was the car!! Although that's not HD Synthetic oil! I am vowing to do the oil changes on the bike myself this season, thanks BV

Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Pop Pop
Cruiser

They could give you the bike if you brought it back to them for all the "services" they claim it needs. Do it yourself and about half as often as they think it needs. Riding is more fun than wrenching.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep I always cram a wad of paper towels right under the oil filter before I unscrew it. That way it catches all the oil and keeps it from going ALL over the motor mount and those nooks and crannies under the filter area.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:11 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Arizona
Yep I always cram a wad of paper towels right under the oil filter before I unscrew it. That way it catches all the oil and keeps it from going ALL over the motor mount and those nooks and crannies under the filter area.
Now THAT is a Great tip and idea!

Quick Reply: Annoying Oil Leak