Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
BUSCHA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed!

I have a 2007 Wide Glide and want to put a Fat Boy type rear fender. Problem is that the Fat Boy fender is too short, that is, it leaves a big gap near the transmission. Other rear fenders are likewise short, like the Street Glide fender, see here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-the-bike.html . The only fender that I know of that does not leave a gap is the 08 Ultra Classic fender, see here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...-rear-side.jpg. Are there any other touring fenders that would not leave a gap? Also, how wide is the Ultra Classic fender? My current bike has a 8 1/2" wide fender and possibly I would like something close to that. What fender should I go for? 08 Ultra Classic, 09 Ultra Classic, other???

Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BUSCHA
I have a 2007 Wide Glide and want to put a Fat Boy type rear fender. Problem is that the Fat Boy fender is too short, that is, it leaves a big gap near the transmission. Other rear fenders are likewise short, like the Street Glide fender, see here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-the-bike.html . The only fender that I know of that does not leave a gap is the 08 Ultra Classic fender, see here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...-rear-side.jpg. Are there any other touring fenders that would not leave a gap? Also, how wide is the Ultra Classic fender? My current bike has a 8 1/2" wide fender and possibly I would like something close to that. What fender should I go for? 08 Ultra Classic, 09 Ultra Classic, other???
I question if that first picture is really a Street Glide fender. I have an 07 Ultra and replaced the rear fender with a Road Glide fender, and it didn't have the large difference your showing in your pictures they were identical except for the holes in the back for the tip light on the Ultra. I am pretty sure the Street Glide fender is the same as the Ultra & Road Glide fender except for the 3 holes on the back sides for the tri-light facsa to mount to.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
BUSCHA
Tourer

Thanks Hog Yild. The guy (ackman) said that it's a 2009 Street Glide fender, but you may well be right. So are Street Glide, Ultra Classic, Road Glide fenders all pretty similar? Do you have any idea how wide they are from strut to strut? Where there any changes in width from year to year? What's the biggest rear tire you can fit in your 07 Ultra?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's an 09 Street Glide fender, that I can't speak on. They may very well be different. I know they are wider than the earlier models.

The inside width of the Touring fenders ( excluding the 09's) are 6-7/8", on an 07 or 08 we can run a 160 wide tire without mods. This is because of the narrower drive belt for these years. All of the touring rear fenders are pretty much alike. Except for the holes different lighting options.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 01-12-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Dude, sounds like fabricating to me. Cut off and keep what mounts to yours and weld on what you want from the new fender. That way coverage and mounting will not be a problem. Tire width? I think you could prolly run a 180, if the swingarm and belt agree. There, my $0.02

Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM
BUSCHA
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
If it's an 09 Street Glide fender, that I can't speak on. They may very well be different. I know they are wider than the earlier models.

The inside width of the Touring fenders ( excluding the 09's) are 6-7/8", on an 07 or 08 we can run a 160 wide tire without mods. This is because of the narrower drive belt for these years. All of the touring rear fenders are pretty much alike. Except for the holes different lighting options.
Thanks for the info man! There are many cheap fenders on ebay, maybe I'll go down that route.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 AM
BUSCHA
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLoTR
Dude, sounds like fabricating to me. Cut off and keep what mounts to yours and weld on what you want from the new fender. That way coverage and mounting will not be a problem. Tire width? I think you could prolly run a 180, if the swingarm and belt agree. There, my $0.02
Thanks, that's a good idea too. My fender is a bobtail so it will be hard to work on that. But I could get a super glide rear fender (should bolt on directly) a cheap used fat boy type fender cut the rear of it and ask someone to do some welding (I am useless in these things). Mmmm... many possibilities.