Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weeping primary inspection cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:32 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weeping primary inspection cover

I've noticed a very small "weepage" from the primary inspection cover of my R'Glide. I first noticed it when I was cleaning the bike earlier this week and thought it might actually just be some road **** that might have gotten thrown up onto the cover. I cleaned it up and then today I did a 140 mile ride and when I got home, I noticed the weepage again. It's just a small trickle that appears to be coming from the lower left hand corner of the cover and based upon the residue trail, it doesn't appear to be more than just a small seepage. As of today, I have 750 miles on the bike.

1. Assuming this is a small leak, should I be ok waiting to get it looked at until I hit my 1k service?
2. Is this a common problem with the baggers?

Old 04-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: weeping primary inspection cover

I don't know how common it is but there is a gasket there and it could have been nicked or buckled on installation. I also guess the cover could be warped or the screws not torqued to spec. I doubt you can't for 250 more miles but this would be an easy fix for you if you think you will be doing any work on your bike yourself

Old 04-16-2006, 09:38 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been having the same problem. First thought it to be a bent cover from possibly over tight bolts, got a new cover for like $20 bucks and new gasket.......still did it. I went a got a new gasket and installed it the opposite way it was while dripping then, I did the same with the cover, front bolt hole now the back bolt hole. Put about 500 miles on since then and no leaking...Drove me crazy for awhile, thought I had put to much fluid in.........drained it and made sure to put the correct level. I was begining to think that I would have to get a whole new primary cover thinking the problem was some how coming from there.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Screws could have backed off a little. The service manual has a sequence to tighten the screws. I think it starts upper right, lower left, lower right, upper left. Use the torque settings. I noticed some weepage from the rocker boxes on my bike at 22,000. Turns out the screws were slightly loose. I tightened and it stopped. It's not unusual for screws on the covers to loosen slightly as the bike goes through the heat and cooling cycles.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:47 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The odd thing is that I did not torque them down this time, hand tightened them and have checked them a few times. Hand tighten maybe pretty damn close anyway it is not that high of a torque setting........It is just what has worked for me, gone through about 5 gaskets and a new cover and several months of weepage and now it has been a couple of months and clean.........

Old 04-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

could it be overfilled and just rightin itself...mine did for a day or so

Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 AM
CharlieZ
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my Primary Shaft Seal replaced under warranty on my 05 FLHRI RK. I was getting small drops of oil around the back part of the Primary case. At first I thought it was the Primary case seal, but it ended up being the Primary Shaft Seal. I have put 300 miles on it since the seal was replaced and no leaks.

Name:  Sturgis_2005001.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  47.2 KB