Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on this hemet....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Opinions on this hemet....

Good day, Riders.

I've been searching for a lightweight helmet that meets regulatory requirements.
Since none are available where I live, I searched the internet and found this one that seems to be everything that I want.
Have any of you purchased this unit?
I would be very pleased to read your opinions.
TX
Greg

http://www.allaboutleatherjackets.com/product/100VGB

Old 02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well...I think the fit is most important, not the appearance. Having said that, it looks nice. I'm always reluctant to buy helmets online because you never know how well it will fit. That's my .02 cents worth.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am alway leery of products that do not have a reputation to stand behind. Remember you will only "need" this helmet in the worst possible circumstances. Smallest and lightest can often translate into less protection even though it meets DOT requirements. When is comes to protecting your skull do you really want the minimum available?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say "everything you want", can you clarify that a bit? I don't know what you want.

From reading the ad, I'd be concerned about the reduced thickness of the EPS layer. In a crash, that's the part that collapses to reduce the force of the impact your skull. If it doesn't have far to collapse, you get more of the brunt of the impact. If you're looking for safety gear, I would look elsewhere.

On the other hand, if you don't care much about the protective abilities of a helmet and are only wearing one because of a mandated state law, then I suppose this is fine.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check out carbonfiberhelmets.com. Around $200.00 but you get DOT and they are Kevlar.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Norm
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide you have to wear a helmet for personal choice or to comply with local laws I would think twice about a $45.00 helmet. How much is your head worth? I would look at carbonfiberhelmets.com as mentioned earlier. A lot of people on this site have them and seem to be very happy with the quality. I know from personal experience that their customer service is outstanding.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the idea that the inner liner is thin. Probably wouldn't set-up on your head too high and look dorky.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 388 Posts

Perhaps you can let us know what qualities you're looking for in a helmet. The manufacturer's name is not listed on the linked page, so I can offer no comment on the quality of the helmet. I have a Skid Lid half helmet. The quality is okay for the price and it's Dot approved.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have the Spoiler helmet by HD which i got at 50% off, half the reason i got it, but it is DOT and is very comfortable. However, HD came out with the hybrid version which is definitely lighter than my Spoiler helmet and it is very comfortable as well. My 2 cents.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyPT
Smallest and lightest can often translate into less protection even though it meets DOT requirements. When is comes to protecting your skull do you really want the minimum available?
Does this meet your approval?

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Opinions on this hemet....