Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Audio Question

I have rat-holed $300.00 and would like to upgrade the sound system.

I have been through the search and the more I read the more confused I get.

I am not looking for anything that will knock out windows or make small children run for their mothers, just looking for something that I can hear and that sounds decent while rolling down the Interstate.

Can this be done for $300.00?
I am open to suggestions....

This is for my 08SG.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:07 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bumped back to the top!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a set of GOOD, 2 ohm speakers will make a big difference.
That's where I would spend the money now, later if you want an amp you can spend some more.

Last edited by Akitakoi; 04-02-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:24 PM
cmdwolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try to upgrade your speakers first. In my humble opinion I would save the money for a decent set of speakers and an amp. However, I have heard some of the guys buy just speakers from Hogtunes (Pez) or other venders and they were happy with them. I got the Arc audio system from Firecap (Wayne) and I am extremely happy with that set up. It did cost me approximately 560, but I got the rings and bigger speakers. I think his lower set cost around 460 (Amp/speakers). I would stay away from any cheap stuff that may or may not have been tested on a bike. In the end it will cost you more.

Good luck.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 PM
fairplay
Road Master

for that kind of money, i say hogtunes speakers and amp. They are not the best (I hear) but they are in that price range and they work great for me.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

let us know what you decide...

Old 04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

I am all for Hog Tunes. www.hogtunes.com
I have run just the speakers for 3 years, and they make a big difference. This year I have added the POD speaker and the AMP and it just ROCKS!! I run 3" true duals, and I can hear things perfectly, and have volume left.

You can send PEZ a PM on here cuz he gives forum member a 10% discount. Good guy and some of the best customer service I have ever seen.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:47 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

I was going to start a thread about the JMC speakers I just installed on my SG. Instead I will reply to your thread. I was going to wait until I took the bike out on the road but the weather hasn't cooperated. Anyway, I bought the JMC's HCUS-09GTM-C. My interest in speakers was strictly a volume issue. I have no interest at all trying to make my bike sound like my home theater. I noticed when I turned up the volume on my stock speakers there was no increase in loudness once the volume bars reached the half way point. I posted a question on the forum some time ago asking if this was what others were experiencing. As I recall, they were. The installation was a piece of cake. Without having ridden on the open highway yet here my opinion. First, these speakers are substantially louder and I am confident I can here them at any sane speed. The volume bar now increases the loudness as reach bar is reached. I turned the volume up one bar at a time and there was a distinct increase in loudness at each bar all the way to the end. Way superior to the way it was. I notice to at higher volume levels there is a slight hum, as in vibration thru the handle bars and also in the seat. I mean this in a good way. Kind of like the vibration you get in your home theater's sub-woofer. I can't say that the tone is any better but I'll say it is no worse than stock. As I said, it is all about volume with me and I can't see how I could be disappointed. These are LOUD and that's all I was asking. I paid $115 and felt it was money well spent. Lastly, when get on the road, if I find any thing different I'll post it.
Gary

Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Save your money and buy speakers and amp. I just bought speakers and it wasn't worth it. I need a good amp now.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Here is a nice tip for anyone that has put better speakers in. Re-adjust your bass to 50% and then the tremble to 25%. Don't take my word for it, just go for a ride on your bike and trun up the volume. It makes a big difference in how the music sounds.

Quick Reply: Audio Question