Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo vs. Twin cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM
FXSTS93
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a dead issue - But I owned a TC (2002 FXDL) never had a problem with it, soldit at 56,000 and (to my knowledge) it is still going without any major work. Recently obtained a 1993 FXSTS with 114,000 and it runs like a Bashee! I am getting new gaskets (yeah, it likes to mark its territory!) But bottom line, I think there both great engines and you'll be happy with either.
Just for the record - The EVO was a product of the old (I'm sorry) AMF Reign, they just never marketed it and "Harley" inherited it with the buy out. Porsche was only involved with the Revolution Engine.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,831 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by HogBack
If you get a great deal on an EVO, they will have more vibration due to the solid motor mounts, but good bikes also IMO. Good luck...
All FXRs with the Evo motor (since 1984) had rubber mounted engines. Extremely smooth.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

in reply to "then came bronson", yes, fxr's did use the rubber mounts and that's what the "R" in the fxr stands for. from what i understand,
F=big twin fl type motor
X=sportster/dyna skinny front end
R=rubber mounted motor
a side note, eric buell was heavily involved with harley during the design of the fxr frames and if you study how they're made you'll understand why they were famous as being harley's best handling chassis ever. these fxr frames were expensive to produce and that's why the dyna glides replaced them. i'm keeping my 92 fxr just cause it's cool.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Griz
Hello all,

I'm new to the board and have some ?'s. But first the setup. I'm not a Harley rider yet, the reason I began reading the board (a few weeks ago) was to do some research so that this fall when I'm ready to buy my Hog, I get the right bike for me. I've been riding about 5 years, and when I started, it was suggested to me by my brother (20 year rider) to get a cheaper rice burner to learn on and if/when I drop it, it won't hurt so bad. I've loved my '96 1100 Shadow and it's been a great bike, and still is. I've dropped it and fixed it and rode it and chopped it. Great learning experience and safer and cheaper than learning on a Hog. Also I could ride for a while and find my riding style and decide what class bike would suit me. Following that suggestion was the best thing I ever did.

Now I'm ready to step up. So here's the ?'s. (however long winded)

I fell in love with the new SG, as have many here it seems, however all the problems that is has been having have made me a little hesitant. I don't want to spend 20,000 and have to fix my new bike. So I began looking at the EG Standard and I could make it mine.

Finally the ?'s.
1. Have there been absolute fixes for all the prob's on the SG?
2. What are the differences between the Evo and TC? Specifically pro's and con's, recurring issues, reliability, wrenching and upgrading (cost and difficulty), etc...

I've tried a search and found nothing that directly answers these ?'s. If anyone knows somewhere I can find these answers, directions to or a link would be great.

Thanks, in advance, for your help in making an informed decision.

Griz
Well, both the EVO and TC are good motors. But the early TC ('99-'06) had problems with the cam chain tensioner shoes (Spring Loaded). But this has been covered already. The oil pump was weak too.

Harley came out with the EVO motor to replace the Shovelhead. It was a manufactured to tighter specifications and less maintenance requirements.
I have had several Shovelhead BT. I loved them. I could tear the top end down in a shopping center parking lot and it still ran great. It just required me to always carry a great tool kit when I went on any long trips.

The EVO was not copy righted correctly by Harley. Everyone had the EVO Style motor. Everyone had parts to make it better and even complete motors. It was great for the time, but the Harley version had problems if you tried to go to a larger displacement. They had a very low ceiling. So Harley designed the TC. Then made sure to get all of the paperwork in order before they came out. Now that they came out, the only ones that had any extra parts for the motor was Harley. Harley made all of the money, until the aftermarket was able to get into the market. But that took several years.

When it comes down to it, the EVO Electra Glide is a Great bike. It can run for years without any problems. If you look for an EVO, I would not go older than 1996. Not because of the motor. Because of the wiring. In 1996, Harley changed the connections to the same ones that they use today. That meant that some accessories are a "Plug-N-Play" set up. It is good to have this advantage.

If you decide to go with the TC, get any with the 96" motor. This way the problems that Harley had with the first TC 88" are fixed and the TC displacement can be raised very high without problems..

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 07-13-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

A comment on Evos and the things that supposedly go wrong with them. I have owned my 1990 FLHS from new and there were several things that let it down during its early life, but every fix cured the problem. No Evo bought today should display or suffer from 'problems', unless it is low mileage and they have yet to show.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:43 AM
sl954
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
Well, both the EVO and TC are good motors. But the early TC ('99-'06) had problems with the cam chain tensioner shoes (Spring Loaded). But this has been covered already. The oil pump was weak too.

Harley came out with the EVO motor to replace the Shovelhead. It was a manufactured to tighter specifications and less maintenance requirements.
I have had several Shovelhead BT. I loved them. I could tear the top end down in a shopping center parking lot and it still ran great. It just required me to always carry a great tool kit when I went on any long trips.

The EVO was not copy righted correctly by Harley. Everyone had the EVO Style motor. Everyone had parts to make it better and even complete motors. It was great for the time, but the Harley version had problems if you tried to go to a larger displacement. They had a very low ceiling. So Harley designed the TC. Then made sure to get all of the paperwork in order before they came out. Now that they came out, the only ones that had any extra parts for the motor was Harley. Harley made all of the money, until the aftermarket was able to get into the market. But that took several years.

When it comes down to it, the EVO Electra Glide is a Great bike. It can run for years without any problems. If you look for an EVO, I would not go older than 1996. Not because of the motor. Because of the wiring. In 1996, Harley changed the connections to the same ones that they use today. That meant that some accessories are a "Plug-N-Play" set up. It is good to have this advantage.

If you decide to go with the TC, get any with the 96" motor. This way the problems that Harley had with the first TC 88" are fixed and the TC displacement can be raised very high without problems..
Good answer, but I'm guessing the OP has already made his decision. He asked the question 5 years ago.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sl954
Good answer, but I'm guessing the OP has already made his decision. He asked the question 5 years ago.
Yes, but there are "New to Harley" readers that do ask the same question, and read this.
And 5 years ago, the 96" motor was new, but now proven.
It is a good read.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 07-13-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
Yes, but there are "New to Harley" readers that do ask the same question, and read this.
And 5 years ago, the 96" motor was new, but now proven.
It is a good read.
Yes, and I would be one of them. And I thank you for resurecting this thread, as a new to Harley reader.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,949 Likes on 21,312 Posts

No introductions?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emwolb
twin cams crank is much different in that an interference fit crankpin is pressed in place. and rarely is there an issue with the cranks.
You can't be serious right ? Have you been living under a rock ? And to the op, there is a reason EVERY major engine manufacturer still uses the EVO platform, the major downfall to EVO powered bikes is they are starting to become dated and newer,better stuff is being manufactured (chassis wise) that you have to retro fit to use, good luck on whatever you choose !

Quick Reply: Evo vs. Twin cam