Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding On Rails! Perfectly Lowered..Intiminator Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Riding On Rails! Perfectly Lowered..Intiminator Review

Guys,
When I did my bike makeover, I installed the RaceTech kit with Gold Emulators and lowered it 2" in the forks. I installed this setup exactly as the instructions stated.
I was never happy with the RaceTech setup...too soft. I never had total confidence in the frontend. The forks would bottom out, banged my front fender, the nose of the bike would dive too quick under hard braking. I just wasn't impressed.

Over the course of about 3 weeks, I gave some serious thought about what I wanted to do to my forks. This past week I installed the following parts:
Ricor Racing Intiminator Valving
Progressive Suspension stock length springs
Stock rebound springs (the shorty's)
Arlen Ness Lowering Dampners (1.5" lower)
Amsoil Fork Oil (as prescribed by Ricor)
Leak-Proof Seals

I put this frontend together exactly as the HD Service Manual describes. I used the Fork Oil Level Gauge to get the amount of oil dead on. I wanted to achieve a better riding, lowered fork...which is why I stayed with stock length Progressive springs. The Ness lowering dampners did their job, lowered my scoot 1.5" all the while I increased ride quality using the better Progressive spring. I dropped the Intiminator valves inside the forks in place of the stock emulators.

We rode today about 300 miles. Right off the bat I wanted to see if I could get it to bottom out and get my next ding in the fender...it never happened! Aimed for road obstacles to get the forks to bottom, it just wouldn't do it.

The Intiminators? Let me just say, you have to try these! I could see the forks working from my vantage point. These things are super-quick to react to everything thats thrown at you on the road. The one thing with these emulators that I must dispute...the claim that you'll no longer get a diving frontend under hard braking, is not entirely true. The frontend will dive under hard braking...but it has to be really hard braking. It wasn't so bad that it made me uncomfortable being on the bike.

I think I've found the PERFECT setup for a lowered fork on these heavy baggers. This scoot was like a guided missile today, never swayed off course. I gained 100% of my confidence back in my bike after constantly being scared of the extremely soft RaceTech setup.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:55 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last week I installed the chrome front end kit and did the harley lowering kit as well (1 inch). Used heavy SE fork oil and I felt that it was a good deal.

The tire stays planted pretty good and handles much better with the 21 inch tire on the front.

Glad you found nirvana, nice bike.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 AM
xtremechopper
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, great review. the only thing that I would be leary of in that setup is the fork seals. Keep an eye on those. The leak proof fork seals are the worst product on the market and I have never had any luck with them over the years. We call them guaranteed to leak seals at the shop. Other than that, thanks for the writeup I have been thinking about the intimidators also and have been going back and forth between them and the race tech setup. By the way, which weight race tech setup did you use?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:39 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you found one that works for you. I would never call my Race Tech setup soft. It has been an excellent front end suspension for me, but I think anything lowered 2"s in the front runs the risk of bottoming out some.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by xtremechopper
First off, great review. the only thing that I would be leary of in that setup is the fork seals. Keep an eye on those. The leak proof fork seals are the worst product on the market and I have never had any luck with them over the years. We call them guaranteed to leak seals at the shop. Other than that, thanks for the writeup I have been thinking about the intimidators also and have been going back and forth between them and the race tech setup. By the way, which weight race tech setup did you use?
I've used the Leak-Proof seals for several years, never a problem.

The RaceTech spring I used was the 1.0, or however they word it. I called RaceTech about the spring before I installed the kit and they told me I needed their heavier spring. Their heavier spring looks as though it'd still be softer than the stock HD spring.

If you want to try the RaceTech setup...I'll make you a helluva deal on this kit. I even have the .90 spring. Sell you the whole thing...CHEAP!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:52 AM
xtremechopper
Cruiser

You got my interest. Pm me and we can work out the details, thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 09:35 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by xtremechopper
You got my interest. Pm me and we can work out the details, thanks
I sent you 2 PM's
No idea if they're going through.
My laptop is lagging.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice write-up. I myself have the RaceTech 1" lower from end and it is awesome. Never bottomed out or had an issue.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:02 PM
JohnCA58
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the gold valves too, you do have the option to set it up soft, I went two turn in on the valve setting, it rides like a rail and no diving on hard braking, I went with the heaviest spring 1in. drop, race tech fork oil.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 AM
blueride
Tourer
Default Intiminators

Will install mine in the next week or so, thanks for the write-up.

Looking forward to seeing how they work....