Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Turbulance

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 AM
ssw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield Turbulance

From what I've read, it is best to be able to see over your windshield rather that have to look through it and I tend to agree. Reviews of the '09 Ultra suggest it has a "too tall" WS. So I changed my stock 12" WS for a 9-1/2" on my Ultra. Took a long ride with it this last weekend and noted that I could just see over it as intended. I also noticed a lot of turbulant air flow aound my helmet that just about rattled my eyes out after a while. I'm now thinking I will put the stock one back on.

Any thoughts about this issue? Could my 1/2 helmet be a contributing cause or something else? It is not very comfortable to ride this way.

Steve

Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 AM
neversatisfied
Cruiser

SSW, I too, just replaced my stock shield with the 9.5" version and rode about 225 miles on Sunday. I noticed a little more turbulence but not enough to go back to the stock shield. Was it windy when you rode? Sometimes a cross wind will feel like that.....

Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Some like to look over, some like to look through and you've found your preference. Whether it's too tall or not is a matter of OPINION and in this case yours is the only one that counts.
You'll get more wind with a shorter windshield - an inevitable trade-off if you want to look over.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:20 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

i have the 1" over stock height on my clearview and it works great -ride safe

Old 04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I disagree with not looking through the windshield.It's nice not having the turbulance and my eyes not drying out on a 5 or 600 mi day.I've never noticed any vision problems. Obviously there's occaisions when when I have to look over the ws ie heavy rain ,snow etc.The 12" stock shield was a tad too tall for me so went to an 11" Clark Custom Flat top so I don't have to strain to look over it when I have to.

Last edited by D2R; 04-07-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the Cee Baileys SSC. You get the best of both worlds. Just put the 13 inch on my Ultra and love it.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/flhtssc_ws.html

Old 04-07-2009, 01:04 PM
ssw
Cruiser

Dry eyes was another issue. I wear contacts when I ride. Wish I had my liquid tears with me that day even with sealed sunglasses and Scorpion visored helmet. There may have been some wind that day, but in Florida, that's to be expected. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

The stock windshield is 12". You might need to try to split the difference and see what happens. I'm on the tall side and the stock windshield wasn't even close for me. I had a friend hold a tape measure in front of the windshield while I was sitting on the bike and I used my hand to point out where I "thought" it should be. The number turned out to be 15". Harley's factory "tall" windshield happens to be 15" so I bought one. Talk about night and day!!! The helmet buffeting I'd been putting up with was all but gone. Not totally of course, I don't think you'll ever get that, but it's better than I've ever had before. Another welcome side effect is that I can hear the radio at freeway speeds much more clearly now, especially when I'm pushing a headwind.

Oddly enough, overall, I think this windshield is close to actually being too tall for me. At the end of a long day, when I'm tired and not sitting up as straight as I would usually be, I wind up looking right at the lip of the windshield and if I'm going up hill, I'll be looking through it. I've never had that issue before but in this case, I don't mind. Most bikes I've owned with fairings, I couldn't get the windshield anywhere near as good as this setup is so I'll live with looking through it from time to time. It may take a little experimentation on your part but you'll get it there. The only down side is spending the money!

Good luck & Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

The last two bikes I had before this one had tall windshields that I looked through. I didn't see the problem at all. I liked it except when riding in rain. The rain cut my visibility down drastically.

Now I am riding a sg with an 8" clearview that I look over. I like it much better, but I do catch more wind. It boils down to personal preferance. I don't think one way is better than the other, just better for some people.

You also mentioned a visored helmet? A visor on a helmet will make the wind effect your head much more if you are not behind a tall windshield.

Dennis

Old 04-07-2009, 03:05 PM
captsprocket
4th Gear

I switched out my stock WS for a 15" on my Ultra. Not so much for me, although I do notice a difference in the wind and the rain does tend to affect my view, but my wife was getting beaten by the wind in the back with the stock one. After I switched, she barely notices the wind. Made a huge difference on the passenger!

Quick Reply: Windshield Turbulance