Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ping Pang Dang!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:27 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping Pang Dang!

I did a search about pinging through the forums and found nothing so please don't loose your shirts when I ask this question.
Riddle me this....
How can I ride my 09 FLHT in the 65 degree morning on the Interstate at 80mph in 6th at 2900-3000 rpm and get no pinging. But when it's anywhere from 90-100 degrees I get pinging usually around 4th and 5th while accelerating to 6th and constantly get pinging when cruising 75-80 mph on the Interstate.
I tried all types of stuff like get a Fuelpak and mapped the bike with Rush mufflers 2" baffles. Then I put stock mufflers back on and re-mapped the fuelpak and still had pinging. Now I converted everything back to stock and have pinging still.
I run 93 octane and usually only get gas from Chevron. I thought of getting an oil cooler but I hear good and bad things about that. A lot of the guys in service at H-D say that Harleys are made to run hot and they test them in Phoenix for long hours at a time in ridiculous heat.
I know there is some smart dudes on this forum so can anyone help me solve getting rid of this damn pinging.
Pinging, I heard, is a timing issue. If that was so then temp wouldn't have anything to do with it.
Is it even a true pinging? Does anyone think it's something else. Everyone I know with an 09 touring bike complains of the same thing.
Thanks for the input guys!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:58 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Just trying to put this out there one more time.... Can anyone help??

Old 05-31-2009, 04:09 PM
user 82020
Banned

Are you running synthetic oil?

Old 05-31-2009, 04:13 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tzz
Are you running synthetic oil?
No syntheic..

Old 05-31-2009, 04:16 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Tom here from http://harleygoodies.com/ here. I would recommend either a power commander or a sert with a good Dyno tune eliminate this issue. Do you have an air filter kit, or stock?

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

I had a a/c kit but converted everything to stock to make it run as if from the dealer to se if my mods were the cause. Harley wants me to do a Dyno, Race Tuner, and A/C for $700. But I'm thinking it's not true pinging and more a heat issue unless heat causes pinging, which I thought pinging was a timing issues. If I installed a oil cooler it would make my scoot run cooler and might eliminate this. However I don't want to spend money just guessing. That will get expensive....

Old 05-31-2009, 04:30 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

P.S. I love my floorboard extenders!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:10 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by odie-in-az
I had a a/c kit but converted everything to stock to make it run as if from the dealer to se if my mods were the cause. Harley wants me to do a Dyno, Race Tuner, and A/C for $700. But I'm thinking it's not true pinging and more a heat issue unless heat causes pinging, which I thought pinging was a timing issues. If I installed a oil cooler it would make my scoot run cooler and might eliminate this. However I don't want to spend money just guessing. That will get expensive....
Bottom line is hotter weather raises head temp and it will ping sooner. Fuel burns quicker with same effect of too much timing. However your bike is equipped with ion sensing and when it picks up detonation it's suppose to drop the timing back to stop it. It operates through spark resistance. Did you change spark plug wires to none stock? Could be the wrong sparkplug gaps, either one changes resitance or the map sensor in the throttle body is malfunctioning. Take it back and find out why ion sensing is not working. It may have been disabled somehow. Fix that and it will cure the pining. If that's a no go, you need to pull 1-2 degrees of timing in you ping zone. If that's not possible to do go with a compatible PC product that would allow you to change maps and timing events. I run a Tmax so not really up on PowerCommander products, but someone here will set you up for a fix. As for the cooler, it will help, but timing is the real issue.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 05-31-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:21 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

FuelMoto, PCV,AC,Jackpots... She's running too lean...

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by rbabos
Bottom line is hotter weather raises head temp and it will ping sooner. Fuel burns quicker with same effect of too much timing. However your bike is equipped with ion sensing and when it picks up detonation it's suppose to drop the timing back to stop it. It operates through spark resistance. Did you change spark plug wires to none stock? Could be the wrong sparkplug gaps, either one changes resitance or the map sensor in the throttle body is malfunctioning. Take it back and find out why ion sensing is not working. It may have been disabled somehow. Fix that and it will cure the pining. If that's a no go, you need to pull 1-2 degrees of timing in you ping zone. If that's not possible to do go with a compatible PC product that would allow you to change maps and timing events. I run a Tmax so not really up on PowerCommander products, but someone here will set you up for a fix. As for the cooler, it will help, but timing is the real issue.
Ron
Wires are stock and I've had Harley do all the mainteance because I have the service program. I bought my FLHT last year in November and I was riding a Dyna last summer with no ping so this is my first summer on a touring bike.
I'll ask about the ion sensor and see what they say. I wans't aware that there was a sensor that corrects timing. I wonder if since I removed my FuelPak that the computer has to correct itself over a matter of a few runs. Just a guess.

Quick Reply: Ping Pang Dang!