Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about adding a detachable backrest

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:02 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about adding a detachable backrest

I have a 2001 Ultra Classic and I just purchased a the kit to make the tour pak removable. I want to get a detachable back rest but the docking kit for it says it will not fit a Ultra Classic. If this is true, WHY?

Here is the part description.

TOURING DETACHABLE DOCKING HARDWARE KITS
'94-'08 Touring Models For Sissy Bar Upright or Solo Tour-Pak Rack Kit contains the docking hardware necessary to install Detachable accessories on your Road King, Road Glide, Street Glider" or Electra Glide Standard model. Fits '94-'08 Touring models(except FLHTCUI and '07-'08 FLHRSE3'). '94-'96 models require separate purchase of Hardware Kit P/N 53660-05 and 53658-05

Old 06-06-2009, 08:20 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have an Ultra but I would suspect that it may have something to do with the electrical hook-ups required. I am sure there are plenty of other UC owners on this forum who should be able to help you further.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure this answer goes with your question....but on my 06 the tourpack and detachable backrest use different sets of docking points. In other words, they don't connect to the same places on the bike.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:50 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sharknose
I'm not sure this answer goes with your question....but on my 06 the tourpack and detachable backrest use different sets of docking points. In other words, they don't connect to the same places on the bike.
I know. The above docking points are for the sissy bar, not the tour pak. I already have the docking points for the tour pak.

nobody have a detachable backrest on their Ultra???

Re'

Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The HD fitment information for the '08 and earlier model bikes does not list fitment for Ultras because of the electrical connections/speaker wires involved in removing the tour pak.

Frankly, you can do the research on this yourself by simply looking at the HD parts catalog for 2001 Touring Models. It will show the frame, fender, etc. which will allow you to realize that there is no difference between the various Touring models' that would prevent you from adding the detachable backrest, tour pak, etc. except for tour pak wiring issues.

You will notice that HD's fitment information omits any reference for these items for police model Electra Glides (FLHTP) or police Road Kings (FLHP), but all of these items can be used on police Touring models with recognition that some police-specific features (such as the radio mount/air ride tank) must be dealt with.

Do yourself a big favor and buy the HD parts catalog for your 2001 bike along with HD's service manual and you will be way ahead of the game on issues such as the ones you have raised here and previously.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:10 AM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer

I'll have to see if I can find a 2001 catolog. The problem I see is it would have part numbers that are no longer valid. I figured the electrical was the problem but an hour of searching on Google and here got me nothing.

Sometimes you just gotta ask a dumb question.

Re'

Old 06-07-2009, 07:33 AM
nocages4me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it on my 2001 Ultra and it worked just fine. I don't know the part number but I just bought the 4 point docking kit and it worked just fine. It may be saying that because they consider the Ultra tourpak to be fixed??? Just buy the 4 point and you will be fine. As for the harness I just tucked it up under the seat when I had my tourpak off and covered the connector ends. Took about 10 minutes to put it on/off to run the wires etc...

Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 AM
becker213
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switch the tour pak and detachable backrest on my '07 Ultra on a regular basis with no problems. I believe the reason HD says it is not compatible has already been identified in the previous replies. Disconnecting the wiring in the tour pak is not a major task. The entire process takes me approximately 15 to 20 minutes, tops.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 AM
wrenchguy24
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES you need both kits one for the tour pak and one for the back rest!!!
I have it on my 2006 ultra!!!

53803-06 back rest
53804-06 tour pak

tour pak rack 53276-04

Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
I'll have to see if I can find a 2001 catolog. The problem I see is it would have part numbers that are no longer valid. I figured the electrical was the problem but an hour of searching on Google and here got me nothing.

Sometimes you just gotta ask a dumb question.

Re'
To clarify my earlier post, the "Touring model parts catalog" to which I referred is NOT the parts and accessories catalog that HD issues annually and has mostly bling in it and covers all HD bikes for a given model year. The Touring model parts catalog shows the OEM parts on your bike using pictures (line drawings)and part nos. If you stop by an HD parts counter, the parts books are ususally nearby and take up a lot of room since there is a parts book for each model of bike (Touring, Softail, Dyna, etc.) for each model year--so that's a lot of books.

Stop by a dealership and ask the parts guy/gal behind the counter to show you the 2001 Touring Model parts book.

Quick Reply: Question about adding a detachable backrest