Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Jackpot Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 AM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Jackpot Experience

First of all, I'm a complete NOOB at doing this so this will be from a beginners point of view.

I got the Jackpots/PCV/SEAC package put on yesterday morning. It took me about 3 1/2 hours but I went VERY slowly so I didn't F someting up. A couple of notes about the installation:

1. I couldn't figure out how to get the wiring to fit in front of the battery so I put it in the space under the right side cover. I took the battery cover off so the connectors would slide over there. I still put the PCV unit on top of the old unit as the instructions say.

2. I had one heck of a time getting the old clamps to slide on to the end of the new mufflers but after a bit of coaxing, they finally went. I had to pry them open until the bolt was holding them apart, then used a set of channel locks to push the bolt back down into the hole. I'm lucky I didn't booger up the threads on the bolt.

3. I had no experience with doing this sort of thing. I took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the old wiring connection loose. There is a gray handle that has to be slid back, then the connections just come apart.

4. I had a bit of leaking around where the slipons connect to the header pipes. I had read about this here on the forum and I should have bought some of the sealer to use but I did not (I'm a bonehead, get some before you start the project). When I get some sealant, I'm going to seal both of them so the leak stops. It's not a bad leak but I can feel air.

5. I notice a bit of popping when decelerating through the gears. It's not bad popping but I do think something needs to be tweaked in the map. I do wonder if the leaking has something to do with it so I'm not going to adjust anything until I get them sealed up.

I really like the way the bike performs with the new setup. On hills before when riding 2-up we'd lose a couple MPH. Now we don't anymore. It was cool here yesterday so I can't comment on heat reduction. The sound is AWESOME, nice and low and throaty. Melow when crusing but the bark when accelerating is great. My wife says she wouldn't want them any louder but I wouldn't mind a few more DBs.

All-in-all, it was a pretty decent experience. I'm going to order another set for the RKC when I get the $$$.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it's definitly a good chance that the exhaust leak is the cause of the decel pop.

If you do remove the mufflers to apply the sealent, this time try leaving the clamps on the muffler flange before slipping the mufflers back on rather than leaving them on the headpipes and then trying to push them back over the mufflers. Might help.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 PM
MNrider
Tourer

Check the exhaust and make a tight connection. If you still get popping, you may be able to change the pcv values to 5-10 at the 1200-1700 rpm range for the 0 throttle position. I know that works for the pciii.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:02 PM
catracho
Road Captain

+1 Totally agree!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:18 PM
tzman
Cruiser

Your decel-popping is most likely the exhuast leak. When you take it apart again to seal the mufflers, don't be cheap. buy yourself some new muffler clamps and torque to specs. This will save you a lot of aggravation. JMHO...Been there and done that.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the responses. I kicked myself for starting the project without having the sealer. I rode it for the last two days, hopefully I didn't hurt anything putting 150 miles or so on it with the small leaks.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:10 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the PM and came across this thread. Yes, You are more likely to have poppings if you didn't apply the high temp. sealant.

BTW, I'm supposed to get FM's Package with 2" Rush mufflers sometime tomorrow. Can't wait to put them on my Ultra.

Thorey

Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 AM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Thanks for the PM and came across this thread. Yes, You are more likely to have poppings if you didn't apply the high temp. sealant.

BTW, I'm supposed to get FM's Package with 2" Rush mufflers sometime tomorrow. Can't wait to put them on my Ultra.

Thorey
Cool, make sure to let me know how your installation goes.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:32 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Instead of using high-heat silicone try anti-seize compound, which will help seal the joint and reduce corrosion and rust making the muffler easier to remove later if needed. I've used this for years and have never had decel pop, although I'm not suggesting this will fix your problem. It can't hurt, though.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:53 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I always use the anti-seize as well. Good stuff!

Quick Reply: My Jackpot Experience