Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This crap is getting old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This crap is getting old!!!

Two deaths in 3 days. NY State is making a big deal about motorcycle safty, but is forgetting about the people that may be getting to old to be driving cars. I knew this woman and it is a shame she died because some dumb *** did'nt look.http://www.9wsyr.com/mostpopular/sto...NAzb64q0g.cspx If you go to the websites home you will find another fatal crash where another elderly person killed a biker today. WTF.

Last edited by Rnemhrd; 08-03-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Monochrome
Road Captain

Road safety types are always looking for a reason for death on the roads and bikes are an easy target (not helped by some who ride like they have a death wish). Fact is road safety would be better served focusing on young drivers who carry friends around. Here in the UK we have too many 4 or 5 deaths in one accident of young people driving way faster than they can drive. Most bike deaths, as tragic as they are, usually involve rider error and more often than not do not involve the death of 'innocent' passengers. I agree with rider education and taking poor riders off the roads but authority needs to keep it in perspective IMO

Old 08-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Roadman56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your loss. I came on to an accident in Mass. a week ago. An operator of a SUV decided to turn around on a mountain road. I don't think the rider and passenger had a chance. You all try to be safe out there as there is no telling what's around the next turn.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:45 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

IMO, raise the legal driving age to 18, make madatory driving test annually for folks over 70. I wouldn't even mind seeing an IQ test before getting your license.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

[puts soapbox down, straightens it, and stands square on the middle]

In the US our wonderful federal government spends litterally billions of dollars specifying safe roads, safe cars, and safe motorcycles. But does not spend a dime on producing safe drivers. We in the US in general have a distracted, ambivolent avoidence for personal responsibility. "It was just an accident..."

And yes, this angers me very much.

If we spent just 1% of just the highway money on driver education and continuing education - I am absolutely certain the injury and death toll would be halved in less than 5 years. And in a generation - halved again.

Way to many people in the US internalize that driving is a right and not a priveledge.
[stands down off the soap box, picks it up and moves on...]
...gene

Old 08-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like we are having Open Season on Bikers in Texas as well. I cannot believe the citiation she was issued. I sure hope something more comes of this, but I doubt it.

http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jul/...dies-in-wreck/

Old 08-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser

The last motorcycle check point I was at the youngsters on sport bikes and guys metrics were pushed through and harley riders were nit picked. Most of the fatal crashes lately are car drivers pulling out in front of bikes. Many of them are older drivers. Brenda was an ABATE member and very good rider. They make it sound like bikes are unsafe but it is the people in cars killing the majority on the riders around here. Opps I did'nt see it deaths. That is a fact.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Cbears, live in S. Fl for a week and I bet you change that number from 70 to 60!

Last edited by Yachtman; 08-03-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rnemhrd
Two deaths in 3 days. NY State is making a big deal about motorcycle safty, but is forgetting about the people that may be getting to old to be driving cars. I knew this woman and it is a shame she died because some dumb *** did'nt look.http://www.9wsyr.com/mostpopular/sto...NAzb64q0g.cspx If you go to the websites home you will find another fatal crash where another elderly person killed a biker today. WTF.
Sorry about your loss. The AARP lobbyists make it tough on states that try to pass laws regulating older drivers. If we have an elderly person here thats questionable a police officer can write "Retest" on the ticket and the judge decides if they get retested. Judges as well as politicians are elected officials and older people consistantly go to the poles so you can imagine how well the system works.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cbears
IMO, raise the legal driving age to 18, make madatory driving test annually for folks over 70. I wouldn't even mind seeing an IQ test before getting your license.
Great idea.

Quick Reply: This crap is getting old!!!