Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken saddlebag support bracket

Old 09-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Alabamaslammer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Broken saddlebag support bracket

Here's a picture of the broken bag support bracket that runs down the left side of the rear fender where the bottom bag support bolts on to that HDF member Zahnartz and myself have had to replace...his twice, mine once so far (I hope the last) Have a look at yours, I only found mine because I was installing some saddlebag guards and the piece fell in my hand.

Attached Thumbnails Broken saddlebag support bracket-rainbow-09-004-desktop-resolution-.jpg  
Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep. I've had to replace one of mine too.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup i have 2 sets, I keep welding them hopefully this last fix will last awhile.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 PM
88racing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alabamaslammer
Here's a picture of the broken bag support bracket that runs down the left side of the rear fender where the bottom bag support bolts on to that HDF member Zahnartz and myself have had to replace...his twice, mine once so far (I hope the last) Have a look at yours, I only found mine because I was installing some saddlebag guards and the piece fell in my hand.
Wow!
Another thing I will have to look at before I ride!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went through a half-dozen in around a year on my old Road King - Until I found out that the "bumper" (removed by the previous owner) was a critical component in keeping those things from cracking. Put on the under-fender support from a Street Glide / RK Classic and the problem went away.

Not saying that's the issue you're coming up against - But if it is...

Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue as JohnScrip, took the bumper off the rear fender, and had both fender brackets break. i had them rewelded, and installed the hidden bracket and haven't had an issue since.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Alabamaslammer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
Went through a half-dozen in around a year on my old Road King - Until I found out that the "bumper" (removed by the previous owner) was a critical component in keeping those things from cracking. Put on the under-fender support from a Street Glide / RK Classic and the problem went away.

Not saying that's the issue you're coming up against - But if it is...
Thank's for the input John. Mine's the RKC so it's got the under-fender support...so it should be ok now...I hope

Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Francois
Advanced

My Street Glide purchased new in 2008 had this bracket to break on the left side and crack on the right at 26,000 miles.
No bumper or any other part had been removed, it's just a very poor design.

The dealer brought it to my attention while new tires were being installed.
As this is not a wear item and should last beyond the life of the bike, both sides are being covering under warranty.

Anyone with a bike still under warranty should check theirs now.

Last edited by Francois; 09-11-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:47 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing on my 2001 Road King. I did not have it welded, but purchased a new part from the HD dealer. When I installed it I discovered that the protuding part through which the bolts pass was not parallel with the stationary part on the bottom of the bag support, so I inserted a couple of washers as spacers, therefore not putting amy tension on the new part. That has worked great. I know this is a frequent occurence. I just bought a 2009 Road King and HD has finally changed the design of this part. Halfbreed

The following users liked this post:
ricksteric (09-26-2020)
Old 09-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Francois
Advanced

Originally Posted by halfbreed
I had the same thing on my 2001 Road King. I did not have it welded, but purchased a new part from the HD dealer. When I installed it I discovered that the protuding part through which the bolts pass was not parallel with the stationary part on the bottom of the bag support, so I inserted a couple of washers as spacers, therefore not putting amy tension on the new part. That has worked great. I know this is a frequent occurence. I just bought a 2009 Road King and HD has finally changed the design of this part. Halfbreed

Good to know. I think that I'll do this when my new ones come in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken saddlebag support bracket