Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower the bike or not ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 PM
byingjl
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lower the bike or not ???

I know this subject has been beaten to death but I've never seen the ultimate answer in lowering a 08 Ultra Classic. I'm 5'9" tall, inseam=30" and weight 180lbs. I'm uncomfortable at stops due to not being flat footed. Several people recommend seat modification or replacement and I've seen several others recommending new shocks. I want to preserve the quality of the ride and am curious to know if there's a compromise. For example: frt shocks and partial seat mod OR rear & seat mod OR both frt & rear shocks and OR? I'm sure it's a personal preference 'thing' but am interested to know if anybody has found the ultimate solution......

Last edited by byingjl; 09-11-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 508 Posts

seat will help, some shorter shocks will help but ride a bit stiffer,my opinion is too lower front and rear = as to not change the ride too much (may get some strange handling lowering only one end)

Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Dannl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you can lower the rear by 1" and not the front without disturbing the ride performance, you certainly would not want to lower the front without lowering the rear. I lowered the rear by using the 1' lowering block from http://www.eglidegoodies.com it allows you to use the stock 13" shock and drops the shock straight down without changing the shock angle.

Last edited by Dannl; 09-12-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:04 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used H/D low profile shocks , and badlander seat. lowered about 2 inches I guess. Rides harder.You will bottom out with passenger on. That is with over 40lbs in shocks ,Might change shocks back to stock. If you want these ,might sell for cheap.Looks great though.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Dannl
Cruiser

I lowered an 03 Ultra with 11.5 rear shocks and I think it messed up the ride. I would keep the stock length of shock if you can.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I put the Arnotti Air system on my '09 Ultra. I am 5'6" with a 30" inseam and with the wider frame on the '09's I really had an issue with flatfootin'. I can drop the bike 3" as I am coming to a stop and as I movi onto the highway I can pump the suspension up to where I want it for heighth and comfort. For me this was a good fix. I am still having seat issues for comfort, guess for a 5'6" short guy weighing 260lbs. I have a bony butt cause I have tried a Sundowner, Just bought a Mustang Regal, have done some customizing on my stock seat and still can't find that comfort for all day riding.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 AM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Reach Seat"

I just got a 2010 RKC and I have lowered the front and back. I also bought the Reach Seat that Harley sells. (I'm only 5' 7 1/2) I'm not sure I will ever be as comfortable as I was on my Deuce. I only have 1100 miles on it and I had 35k on the Deuce. The RK is a couple hundred pounds heavier and a he!! of a lot nicer riding, it also has floorboards which make it a little "different" than what I am used to.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

I have an 07 and lowered Front and Rear, love the way it handles with the lower Center of Gravity. The 07 Seat is narrower in the front than the 08 and 09 seats. If I had one of them, I would probably get the seat cut thinner in the front or the Reach seat or someones equal of it. It does stiffen the ride a little bit, but I don't mind it. Lowering with blocks gets mixed opinions. My 97 RK was lowered with blocks and do to the angle change of the suspension I would bottom out 2 up. Changed to shorter shocks fixed that problem for me. So wehn I got the 07 I just went the shock route and because I was chroming the front end did the shorter springs there also while it was apart. Many options and I think each person plays around till they find the combo that suits them best.

The Air Ride system is pricey, but a pretty nice set up being adjustable on the fly for your conditions.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you actually make turns at other than a crawling pace, lowering the suspension will seriously decrease your already modest ground clearance and you'll touch down much sooner. Besides, a seat is way cheaper than shocks and springs. Having ridden both styles, I wouldn't drop mine if you paid me. My girl asked me to take her Street Glide out for the day while she was away to verify some things and with just that rear only being dropped from the MoCo, I had to make a quick change to my riding style before I chewed up her floorboards. Think about it, when the bike is lowered (rear) you only have about 2 inches of suspension travel, common sense will tell you the ride will be adversely affected without even riding it. Looks cool as hell, I will admit, but what do you want, form or function? Also, in addition to modifying the seat (or buy custom) there is the possibility of that drop frame thing from F.B.I. (I believe) but may not fit your needs.

Think hard about that suspension drop because it WILL make a difference.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you ride 2-up regularly do not go with the HD low profile shocks...as electricstart said, you will bottom out even when pumped up.

I bought my bike used and the previous owner powered the front and the rear and I am seriously considering returningthe bike to stock height this winter...so far I have tolerated it.

Quick Reply: Lower the bike or not ???