Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 03:20 PM
ssgunny
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

A thread last replied to two years ago but would like to share my experience (I'm 6'5") on my 2009 FLHTCU. Previously installed fork baffle prevents air coming over the center of the tank. Recently installed JES fork mounted wind deflectors and LRS 12" recurve flattop. Buffeting is non existent and with my feet on the floor boards it's pretty calm where I am sitting. As soon as my feet go out to the highway pegs air ramps up the legs, torso, and into the face. The faster the more noticeable. I thought the addition of the fork wind deflectors would help prevent this but it didn't IMO.

Last edited by ssgunny; 05-30-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Sounds like your feet and legs are not very aerodynamic when stuck out front! Sorry, couldn't resist.......

Old 05-31-2015, 06:37 AM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are almost finished. The final part of the "street glide wind buffeting solution" is the Fork Baffle. This low cost item eliminates the updraft from the front of the tank between the forks. Ride in comfort in wind free zone. This also pushes and rain away from the updraft. This chrome beauty along with adjustable wind deflectors you've already installed, will do the trick and let you cruise in comfort.

Most HD dealers have them in stock.

Front Fork Air Baffle-58520-79TC

Old 05-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Gunny -
If you have your hi-ways arranged so that your legs are splayed in what I describe as the 'gynecological exam position' there is absolutely nothing you can do regarding the wind.
I have a set that I got from Rivco that keeps my feet as tucked in as possible but there's still wind in my face. I accept it as part of the H-D experience.
A set of elephant ears will help some but only if you keep your feet on the floorboards. If you get a set, don't let the temp warning scare you. I've used them all the way to 70+ degrees with zero heat issues. After that I'm too hot to leave them on and welcome any cooling wind I can find.
That triple tree baffle does nothing for wind deflection. I've tried it with and without and cannot honestly say there was any difference either way.
Dude, you're riding a Harley - not driving your car. There's going to be some wind no matter what you do.
That's why we ride 'em....to get our faces in the wind and listen to that beautiful sound.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:57 AM
Runamuk13
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air deflectors do help a lot. But I still get a lot of air coming up in front of the tank that seems to cause my head buffeting.

Ya know how your mind wanders off to think about all kinds of crazy things while you're plowing through miles on the open road. My wandering mind has pondered the possibility of having a very stretchy fabric piece that would attach between the forks and the engine guard. Make it so it would not interfere with movement of the forks. Make it so it directs the wind to the outside of the tank, instead of coming up in front of the tank.

On one particularly long, boring straight road, I thought about taking scissors to my wife's nylons and fabricating something. But then the road got more interesting and my wandering lunatic mind moved on to more fun stuff.

I have no idea if it would work, or if it would cause a low pressure vacuum in the cockpit that could be just as bothersome.

Then there is the danger of having the fabric connected from the engine guard to the forks. Not sure how to design around that so it does not do something weird to the steering.

Maybe there are some budding engineers out there that want to make something like this.