Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bouncing Handlebar at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:28 PM
sfl111rml
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncing Handlebar at Idle

Good to be a member of the forum. I have been riding for 43 years on all kinds of motorcycles with various engine configurations. Probably have owned and ridden 30 motorcycles. I bought an '07 Road King Police with 27,500 miles on it about a month ago. I've put about 1200 mile on it now and have a question about the only complaint I have with this bike. At idle at a traffic light, the handlebar bounces up and down. It's irritating. All my riding career I have kept my hands on the handlebar at a traffic light and this is the only bike I have owned that does this. I know its a big 45 degree twin, etc. and everyone says this is "just what they do" and "live with it." Dealer checked the bike over and there are no problems with the bike. I can raise the idle slightly with the throttle and there is no bouncing but I know this is not what I am supposed to do. How will I get used to this without it making me a nervous wreck at every red traffic light?

Sam

Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like everyone says, that's what a rubber mounted engine does. If you can't learn to accept (and love it like we do) that as normal for them, you could always get a rigid mount "B" softail or go to a metric.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

There is nothing you can do as far as I know about it at idle. If its happening while riding then you may have an issue.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sfl111rml
Good to be a member of the forum. I have been riding for 43 years on all kinds of motorcycles with various engine configurations. Probably have owned and ridden 30 motorcycles. I bought an '07 Road King Police with 27,500 miles on it about a month ago. I've put about 1200 mile on it now and have a question about the only complaint I have with this bike. At idle at a traffic light, the handlebar bounces up and down. It's irritating. All my riding career I have kept my hands on the handlebar at a traffic light and this is the only bike I have owned that does this. I know its a big 45 degree twin, etc. and everyone says this is "just what they do" and "live with it." Dealer checked the bike over and there are no problems with the bike. I can raise the idle slightly with the throttle and there is no bouncing but I know this is not what I am supposed to do. How will I get used to this without it making me a nervous wreck at every red traffic light?

Sam
I'm on my second Harley Davidson which happen to be an '07 Road King Classic. Mine also vibrates noticeably at idle. I had an '03 Ultra Classic 88 but it didn't vibrate near as much as my RKC.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's simple. Engine is not internally balanced and is rubber mounted. It vibrates hard at idle and smooths out upon acceleration. If you don't like it, go get a internally balanced Softail with solid engine mounts. Then it will be smooth at idle and shake your fillings when you're on the highway. Your choice.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:47 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want to have a Harley touring bike, you're stuck with that characteristic, as far as I know. Give it some time. It's really not that bothersome once you get used to it. You can always switch over to a Softail if you feel the need.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sfl111rml

Sam
If it's too much for ya, trade it, sell it, get a softail model or something else ...it's what rubber mount Harleys do.

your front mount may also be shot, this is a common problem. You may try a velva ride which will reduce the bar shake somewhat depending on how bad it is now. But it will still do it. The velva ride seems too increase the at speed vibration a bit for some folks so that's the trade off.

edit: FWIW, a softail balanced motor will NOT shake your fillings at speed. You will feel it a bit however,as it's a V twin.

Last edited by carpetride; 10-19-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride

edit: FWIW, a softail balanced motor will NOT shake your fillings at speed. You will feel it a bit however,as it's a V twin.
This is true...it won't shake your fillings out. LOL I've had plenty of solid mount harleys but it does vibrate more at cruising speed than a rubber-mounted externally balanced harley. Neither one bothers me at the slightest bit to be honest.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 PM
88racing
Road Captain

You could get the unbalanced parts in the motor balanced but it would come with a good price tag attached. Especially the crank.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 PM
gkey
Novice

My "07" RK does the same thing. No problem, just an Harley.

Quick Reply: Bouncing Handlebar at Idle