Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb verse fuel injection

Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM
badwiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb verse fuel injection

What are the pluses and minus's between carb and fuel injected?. other then the obvious cold start using a choke.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Uh oh,..... another crazy thread in the works! LOL

Some STRONG opinions exist on this subject.

I'll start.
You can perfect the tuning better on EFI for any particular driving range, rpm, and throttle position. Costs more.

Carbs are easier for the simpler minds. Cost less.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:02 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

O_o "Easier for the simpler minds"? IMO, carbs are far more complicated than EFI.

EFI has no jets, no floats, no needles... in other words... a lot fewer moving parts. It relies a lot less on gravity, fluid, and airflow dynamics. EFI systems are typically unaffected by changes in atmospheric pressure or temperature.

EFI systems vary in complexity, in terms of the sensory system that is used to manage the fuel/air mixture, but it really only boils down to two things: measuring air mass and effectively atomizing the fuel. I owned a '78 VW Rabbit that had fuel injection, but without it being electronically controlled. It was a marvel of engineering. It was incredibly simple and effective.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:02 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had both on my bike and I like the carb better...but it does take some work to get the jetting correct so it runs great....

Now this winter i am putting a late model Delphi EFI on mine to see what else i can do....and if i dont like it i will go back to the carb and just ride......

Some people just like carbs......and some of the newer generation like the EFI......I think it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.....

Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A big plus to carbs in the 'tune them yourself' department and they are far less expensive in every aspect. I've still got a couple of bikes with carbs and really appreciate the aspect of tuning them myself.
EFI is much more complicated and virtually impossible to tune without the help of a competent professional tune tech and dyno. Once you've gone through that expense (read EXPENSE here) you're rewarded with a machine that runs it's best in all situations.

Being able to find a competent EFI tuner is a major hassle and although I now have an EFI machine that runs very well it sure hasn't been easy. The learning curve is difficult and expensive (did I mention the expense?).

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 11-25-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evolution: nuff said.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fewer things to go wrong with a carb. If you have fuel in the tank and a spark at the plugs it will normally get you home, not so much the case with EFI. With EFI, one sensor goes and you could be shut down. EFI is nice in the cooler months and normally produces good HP numbers over a wider operating range.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
A big plus to carbs in the 'tune them yourself' department and they are far less expensive in every aspect.
EFI is much more complicated and virtually impossible to tune without the help of a competent professional tune tech and dyno. Once you've gone through that expense (read EXPENSE here) you're rewarded with a machine that runs it's best in all situations.
I don't get this assertion. I agree that most EFI systems do not come with the ability to re-tune them yourself, but third party solutions exist for most EFI systems that can be plugged in. Without the benefit of a dyno and exhaust gas analyzer, you cannot tune a carb any more effectively than you can an EFI system.

Typically, you are making minor adjustments and major adjustments require tearing into the carb to replace jets and needles. At least with a third party tuning system, you can make even major adjustments to an EFI system pretty darn easily. In either case, if your butt dyno don't work, you are in way over your head regardless.

Most people (like me) rely heavily on the community's accumulated experiences for a formulaic solution to re-tuning, regardless of system anyway.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
fewer things to go wrong with a carb. If you have fuel in the tank and a spark at the plugs it will normally get you home, not so much the case with EFI. With EFI, one sensor goes and you could be shut down. EFI is nice in the cooler months and normally produces good HP numbers over a wider operating range.
*shrug*

I agree with this... an EFI system requires that all of its components are working or else the entire system will fail. I agree that carbs can continue to work (and i use the term loosely here), even if the system is not in perfect working condition. They are pretty forgiving and less inclined to leave you stranded.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EFI is a set it and forget it system. Once you're tuned well you just ride. Carbs require maint. to keep them running well. parts can move out of adjustment, wear out, and even break, but if you know your sh?t you can fix it with out a computer. Just some simple tools. I have seen them rebuilt on the side of the road. To some old bikers thats just part of owning a harley and would'nt have it any other way. I had the ecm in by Street Bob go bad and the dealer had to flash and reprogram it. Corrupt programing. Thats not a problem a carb will ever have. I still like EFI though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carb verse fuel injection