Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Devil Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control

Well, I did it! I installed the cruise control today. Well, me and Mama. It went pretty well except for some minor glitches. I had trouble with the reinstallation of the ignition switch. And I don't have any brake lights. Neither the rear pedal or the front hand grips will activate the brake lamp. I checked the fuse. It was good. I hear a clicking sound in the "brake relay" in the fuse block. It might be toast. Anyway, I sure like the cruise. I took it out for a spin tonight to test it. ( I used hand signals, of course). It helped to buy a shop manual before attempting the install. Now I will work on the brake lamp problem. I wonder if I pinched a wire..................

Old 07-17-2006, 09:17 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default RE: Cruise control

did you follow the instructions and put the spacer in the brake lever housing???? very important step -

Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
MOking
Tourer

I experienced intermitent cruise control for the first time over the weekend. If I had to guess, my stealer has a pinched wire from when they installed my chrome switch housings. I think it is in the switch for resume/excell.

The bummer is, it didn't work properly for two days while travelling out and one full day out of town. On the return home yesterday, it worked perfectly.

How is the stealer to find a problem that isn't acting up?

Old 07-17-2006, 12:45 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like it's very easy to pinch a wire in the right side housing.
Are you certain the brake light isn't on all the time and that's why you don't see any change when you apply the pedal or lever?
There is an annoying little shim in the front switch housing. If it's lost the brake switch is on. Had to make a new one out of a thin piece of plastic (less than credit card thick).
All you can do is try until you get it, some vocabulary issues will come up, for sure!

Old 07-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

quick release windshield and cruise control is what made me go with the RKC over the SG

cruise is awesome

Old 07-17-2006, 03:52 PM
ZookHD
Tourer

Pull off the switchhousing. You may have pinched more than just one wire. If your foot brake doesnt activate your light, its definately electrical.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:45 PM
jackj
Banned

just for info, I had problems at one time with mine, HD dealer really could never find the problem, untilllllllllllllllllll, we disconnected the battery for some other work, and guess what, the control worked fine since, the control is really nothing more than a computor and sometimes you confuse them, disconnecting the battery for a few mins. permits them to reboot.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Devil Dog
Tourer

Well, the brake lamp worked on and off today. I took the bulb out, looked at it. Checked all the connections in the tail lamp assembly. Checked the fuse, the brake relay gizmo in the fuse block. Everything looked in order. Put it back together, had a smoke just staring at it and tried it again. It worked! I don't know what the problem was / is. It is still working. Just went and checked it. By the way, the cruise worked great today. It worked so well, I did not even notice it was 113 degrees while I was riding!