Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting check engine light

Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Resetting check engine light

A friend of mine has an '05 Road King, and his check engine light as been coming back on after starting up. It comes on with the ignition during the self-check procedure, goes out, and then when he starts the bike it comes back on for like 1-2 seconds and goes out.

Bike is running great, no problems at all, I think it's a faulty code reading or something like that.

Is there a way to reset the ECM to erase the codes and see if it happens again later?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-18-2006, 08:05 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Resetting check engine light

Steve,
Do a search here for engine code and or error code. But I thought it said something about that in the manual

Old 07-18-2006, 08:11 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

YOU CAN HAVE THE DEALER CLEAR THE CODE WITH A SCANALYZER OR DIGI TECH INSTRUMENT OR THE BIKE WILL CLEAR IT SELF AFTER 50 CRANKING CYCLES. IT IS PROBABLY A COMBUSTION CODE WHICH IS NOT SERIOUS. DEALERS USUALLY DO NOT CHARGE TO CLEAR THE CODES. 99-01 YOU CAN CLEAR YOURSELF BASED ON SELF READINGS BUT NOT 02 AND LATER WITH THE ADELPHI INJECTION SYSTEMS.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:14 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,703 Posts

If it is that orange engine looking light, mine just started doing that as well. I just put my slip ons on prior to having this happen.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Do a search in this forum. I remember someone posted the instructions on how to clear the code yourself.

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

A friend of mine has an '05 Road King, and his check engine light as been coming back on after starting up. It comes on with the ignition during the self-check procedure, goes out, and then when he starts the bike it comes back on for like 1-2 seconds and goes out.

Bike is running great, no problems at all, I think it's a faulty code reading or something like that.

Is there a way to reset the ECM to erase the codes and see if it happens again later?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-18-2006, 08:34 PM
skyking
Tourer

You can clear the code yourself. Go to delpi forums and type in Road King Riders in the search block. This will take you to the road king riders forum. Scroll down the start page and there is a link for the trouble code clearing procedure. It's an adobe file and also tells you what each of the codes mean. I used it last month after allowing my 05 RKC to run out of gas. I got two trouble codes. When I checked the codes before clearing them with the noted procedure, I found out that they meant that I had lost combustion in both front and rear cylinders. I guess the MoCo didn't think I could figure that out for myself when the bike stalled. ;-)

Regards,
Rick

Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found out that they meant that I had lost combustion in both front and rear cylinders.
OH NO !! skyking had a flame out.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:47 PM
2wheeler
Advanced

I had pretty much the exact symptom Steve decribed in the opening thread. Mine started with an intermittent engine light coming on while riding but would go off before you could get pulled over to check it out. Engine ran find the whole time but it did it four times in one 125 mile round trip ride. I took to the dealer and they managed to "check-it-out" for a whole week. Engine light code showd a misfire on the rear cylinder. I never noticed a stumble or felt any loss of power. They supposedly cleared the codes. NOW..I have exact what Steve describes..engine light comes on with ignition turn on than goes out..once I start the engine I see it again for 2-3 seconds than it's gone for good. Is this normal or should I be back in the shop? Bike is an '06 FLHRCI with 400 brand new miles.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the check engine light issue. If there is not problem the check engine light will reset itself in after about 50 starts. Hope that helps.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:26 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just check out his bike, and it had 1 code in it -

P1004 - System Relay Contacts Closed - EFI

I'm not sure what does means or controls or what.

I cleared it out, and I'll check with him and see if it comes back after he rides the bike.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resetting check engine light