Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken bolts on drive sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts
Default RE: broken bolts on drive sprocket?

I have not used stainless .032 safety wire in anything I've worked on in 20 years, only because I loctite what needs to be installed in a vibration environment, but let me tell you, I am seriously thinking that hardware needs safety wire. Not that it is going to do anything when the bolts shear, but it will keep them from backing out Cripes the front fender mounting bolts on my FLHTPI have locking tabs to keep the bolts from backing out.. WTF does the MOCO do for this bolt circle? nothing.

.( I know the shearing and backing out are 2 different issues but they can cause catastrophic failure)

I would strongly suggest everyone get the torque wrench out and double check the torque on these.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:42 PM
BigTinVA
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe in the case of my girls bike that the bolts backed out far enough to contact the shock mount and sheared off when they made contact. Look at how close the remaining bolts are to the mount.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:01 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF I ever get my bike back from the Stealer for a wiring harness probem, first thing I'm going to do is check the sprocket bolts torque.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

I think that is a safe assumption BigT

the tech who worked on that bike needs a severe beating, as does the service manager.

The shearing I was referring to was directed more at the orig posting and the chrome bolts that were failing.

Ya know there is just something to be said for shaft drive don't ya think?

Old 06-17-2007, 09:56 AM
swwilson77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got done reading thru the posts on this thread - lots of good possibilities there - thanks.

Meanwhile, I am experiencng the exact same problem - repeatedly on my 06 FLHRSEI.. The photo posted by BigTinVA in his description of the problem experienced by his friend are almost identical to what I have seen happen on my bike. I have the new "smooth" laced wheel, and a set of progressive shocks (stock length) on my bike.

I had this happen 2 months ago just out of the blue - no apparent reason. Stock bolts, factory installed sprocket, 14,000 miles, just a few weeks after my warranty expired. Three of the 5 bolts sheared off inside the hub. The other two were loose. I pulled the wheel, easy-outed the broken bolt chunks, replaced the bolts with genuine HD parts (with loc-tite) torqued to specs and off I went. All felt good until the exact same thing happened again yesterday.

As far as my riding habits, I ride quite a bit - at least 1/2 of the time, 2-up. I dont beat my bike, but I dont baby it either. I dont think my driving should cause this to happen, as I have never had it happen before. I am going to take it to the dealership to replace the bolts and probably the sprocket this time. It will be a bit costly, but I would rather spend a few hundred than spend time hospitalized or worse. The words "catastrophic failure" come to mind . . . and I dont want to experience that.

Any other thoughts on this thread? I would welcome any comments or opinions.

Thanks
Scott

[IMG]local://upfiles/35003/AAC0603599324EBCB8FCE1B063FE132D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

that very thing happened to a friend fat boy. he heard some goofy noise and we found that 3 of the rotor bolts were gone, the others were very loose. the ones that were broken had been sheared off because they had contacted the swingarm

Old 06-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Any time sprocket bolts are removed, they should be retorqued two or three times within the first several hundred miles. Sounds like this should include new bikes too.

What was the name of that Va. dealer.....................Half-Whitts?

Old 06-17-2007, 04:53 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

ORIGINAL: BigTinVA

$175.00 for a tow to Waugh HD in Orange, VA , 2 weeks in the shop and $360+ for the repair has turned us very sour towards Whitt's HD. I will tell everyone I can at every opportunity about our experience with these effin' morons.
IF YOU LIKE YOUR BIKE, DON'T TAKE IT TO WHITT'S HD FOR SERVICE!!!

Of course, YMMV.

A meeting between you and the shop owner needs to take place..

One suggestion on the best $29 you will ever spend on your bike to avoid at least part of the above problem http://www.road-america.com/ca/hd/ho...mpany_code=520

Old 06-17-2007, 07:31 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...had same thing happen when I installed chrome cover and stainless bolts (Diamond)..dealer inadvertently sold me shorter set and they backed out at about 45 mph..bike just acted like it hit neutral and I coasted to side of street..new wheel, sprocket and cover and I was back up and running.
Later

Old 08-29-2008, 06:12 PM
swwilson77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by swwilson77; 02-25-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: broken bolts on drive sprocket?