Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness help XM - Hawg wired.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 04:07 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harness help XM - Hawg wired.

I need suggestions / help.
I recently installed a hawg wired direct connect which added a harness behind the outter fairing. I have since added a XM module that came with a huge bulky harness with a bunch of plugs I'll never use.
My problem is 2 fold.
  1. I can barely get the outter fairing on trouble trying to find a place to tuck all the harnesses in and...
  2. When playing the XM it doesn't seem loud. I assume it is by passing the amp since it directly plugs to the back of the headset.
Is there a way to connect everything to get the Amped XM and eliminate all the bulk?
Thanks.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The XM harness uses only some of the 30+ wires in the 35 wire connector that you plugged into the back of the head unit. You could hack the fat harness (a/k/a non-Ultra overlay harness) and get rid of all the wiring you don't need, but that's not easy to do to a $100+ harness.

It may take you several tries but eventually you will find that by modifying the way the non-Ultra overlay harness is routed, you can fairly easily install the outer fairing. Getting as many of the unused connectors and used connectors tucked along the sides of the HK head unit seems to do the trick for me with the HK head unit, CB module, rider and passenger headset connectors, rear speaker connector, Arc 125.2 mini amp, and fairing lowers speaker wiring.

The XM signal is another source for the head unit like the CD. Anything played through the front speakers gets amplified because that's how your amp works: takes the signal that would go to the speakers and redirects it to the amp; and, then the amplified signal goes to the speakers. The amp doesn't care what the music source is since it's simply taking whatever comes from the headunit's speaker outputs, amplifies it, and sends the amplified signal to the speakers.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-15-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input. It just seems the sound level is much lower with the XM mode.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

BR, in HD's 2006 Electrical Diagnostic Manual there is a test for XM that is providing low or no volume. It's Symptom 12 and there is a test protocol. You might stop by the local HD store and ask the service dept. to take a look at their book.

The test procedure calls for removing the outer fairing and connecting HD's "break out box" to test various connectors.

Good luck with finding a solution.