Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Ovals Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:47 AM
crescentmotor
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Ovals Install Question

Question about the Nut Plate:

Should the plate portion be up toward the top of the bike; that is, right under and flush with/touching the bottom of the mounting bracket or should the plate be in the down position; that is, right on top of the muffler/down from the the mounting bracket or does it make no difference?

Thanks

Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is a nut plate?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

The stock ones were up, so install the MO up with the lip towards the back.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flip facing up inside of the muffler bracket. The nuts are a pain to get in position and an extra hand is helpful but not mandatory. Also, tighten up both sides and SNUG up the muffler brackets but don't crank them down and step back (best if bike is level) and verify level of mufflers. Then check from the side of the bike and make sure the Monsters both stick out the same distance from the back of the bags.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:35 AM
crescentmotor
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Certified Drunk
The stock ones were up, so install the MO up with the lip towards the back.
Got that step down--I'm talking about the nut plate that goes under the bracket in the slot that is part of the muffler.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Airborne314
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck getting them to stay level.. Im still fighting to get my right one to stay put. Im afraid Im gonna break the damn thing.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:47 AM
crescentmotor
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fewe
Flip facing up inside of the muffler bracket. The nuts are a pain to get in position and an extra hand is helpful but not mandatory. Also, tighten up both sides and SNUG up the muffler brackets but don't crank them down and step back (best if bike is level) and verify level of mufflers. Then check from the side of the bike and make sure the Monsters both stick out the same distance from the back of the bags.
You're right--got the nut plate in position you stated. I went ahead and torqued down the mounting bracket nuts to spec first and then put the bags back on the bike. Then I snugged down the muffler clamp just enough to be able to twist the muffer with some force but retain the position. After getting the mufflers level, I continuted tightening the clamps to spec. I found putting the bags on really helpful in creating a reference point to get the MOs level.

There were no instructions on just how far to push the mufflers onto the headpipe. What I found was the left muffler didn't go in quite as far before the travel stopped. Then I just matched the right muffer. To get them exact, I used an adjustable right angle to measure the difference between the end of the tailpipe and the tail on the mounting bracket. You have to keep checking that distance because in tightening up the muffler clamp, there is a tendency for the muffler to creep slightly.

Hopefully, this additional detail will help the next person.

The fit and finish on these mufflers is beautiful--should be for the price. I cranked the bike briefly but then shut her down because of the white smoke that was being emitted from burning off the manufacturing oils--bike was in garage and raining cats and dogs outside.

First impression--perhaps 25% louder than stock and much deeper. It was the deep sound I was looking for. I'm looking forward to getting outside where I can evaluate the sound.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 AM
crescentmotor
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Airborne314
Good luck getting them to stay level.. Im still fighting to get my right one to stay put. Im afraid Im gonna break the damn thing.
Is this after the install and riding the bike that they are getting loose and becoming unlevel? You probably did but just a reminder to torque the clamp to 45 ft. lbs. I hope they don't shift under load/road stress. I haven't read any other posts indicating that this is a problem (that is, shifting/becoming unlevel after installation).

Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Easiest way is to use a floor jack with a saddle to hold the muffler up close to the mounting plate and start the bolts but to not tighten them. Tighten the pipe at the header pipe connection so it's snug but can be moved. Level the pipe which is easier if you have a center stand or have the bike up on a jack/lift so it's level. Once the pipe is level, tighten the clamp at the connection. Then tighten the two back bolts on the mounting plate. The pipe will not move if you have the connection clamp tight enough.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 PM
crescentmotor
Cruiser

Figured I would post of pic of the Monster Ovals after installation.

These mufflers are actually somewhat louder than what I expected and I can't imagine wanting anything any louder (showing my age I guess). They have a very deep sound but they are not so loud that there is any problem listening to the stereo. The sound is consistent and one thing I like is the absence of a barking sound when rolling the throttle open (some folks actually like that barking sound, which is fine). I rode around for an hour at varying speeds and on the interstate and am very pleased. The MOs really sound nice on deceleration with some of that gurgling sound (if you know what that is). No problems whatever on a stock 2010 Limited--no surging, no backfires, no misses, etc. I have seen a few posters complain about the thump-thump resonance and it is there. I need to spend a few hours in the saddle but I really don't believe it will bother me. I would recommend this slip-on to anyone who wants something deep sounding that is about 25% louder than stock (just a guess--wish I had thought to measure before/after with my sound meter) but will not interfere with listening to the stereo. The fit/finish on the Monster Ovals is outstanding and the tips can be inverted if desired to match the slant of the bags..

Attached Thumbnails Monster Ovals Install Question-img_3659.jpg