Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked the EG

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Wrecked the EG

You know what they say? I still hate that saying, those that have and those that will. Been riding for about 10 yrs. and lot of miles, some call me Mr. Safety but had my first wreck. T boned a car that pulled out in front of me late yesterday afternoon in a 55 mph zone. Wife was following on her bike said we were doing about 53 mph.. I couldn't avoid him but I was prepared for him to pull out and got a lot of braking in before I hit him. Trooper said I probably got the bike down to 35 mph maybe. I flew over the car bounced my head 2-3 times on the road. I had helmet, good riding jacket, and short gloves on. Helmet is shot, jacket lost a few buttons. Spent 3-4 hrs. in hospital to get checked out. Chest conutusion, maybe a broken toe, couple scrapes, CHEAP. Slow moving today but DAMN happy the Lord was with us all. What a horrible sight for my wife to see but because I was leading and she saw me hitting the brakes, she wasnt' a part of the mess.
Guy who I hit was a fireman and said he didn't see us. He is also a rider. I called him today to let him know I was fine, boy was he happy to hear that. It was horrible for him too. He had his two little kids in the car I guess. He had his car towed. Bike is messed up bad it got towed to shop. I may trade it if it's not totaled. Get this, we were coming back from HD after my wife test riding a new Street.
Trooper and paramedics say the helmet saved me from grave danger, probably my life. As I was flying, I hung on to that helmet for my life.

Last edited by Chuck1; 07-15-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear you are alright...

Old 06-18-2010, 05:52 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 160 Posts

Great to hear you are ok, bike can be fixed. Your better half probably will take longer to emotionally heal. I bet it shook her up watching her man go through all that.
Cool that you called the guy and told him you are fine too. Pretty scary though.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:55 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see your alright. As for your helmet thats all its made to do and it sounds like it did ts job. Better it being trashed than your head.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:44 PM
RON ZIBB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CHUCK glad to hear you are alright. You did everything right, but sometimes it happens. YOU RODE DEFENSLEY and thank the lord you wore your helmit, wish you the best.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you are okay. I'll keep wearing my lid.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Whew, good you were being as attentive as you were. Better to get it hauled down as you did, than hit 'em at a full clip. I wonder how someone could look at something and not see it...'specially something that's moving. I guess I just don't understand that.

Glar you came out as well as you did. Good luck with the all the hassles likely headed your way getting this all sorted out.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:54 PM
HOG CHIEF
Intermediate

Wow that doesent happen often,that u live to tell about it. glad you and the wife are ok....Sounds like you were doing everything right, but got caught in a bad situation...But sound like you did everything correct, yep helmets do save lives...saw a guy today riding in town with no helmet, and this is a Helmet law state....dont know if he was from here or not.....again glad to hear you made it thru it...

Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

Good to hear you came out with only some minor injuries!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:25 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad to hear your OK. I had my first wreck in 25 years in March. Ended up trading the wreck and insurance check on a new bike w/ABS. I'm convinced that ABS will make you stop faster. Just my $.02.

Again, glad you you're OK. That's the important thing.

Quick Reply: Wrecked the EG