Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 AM
thumper05
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??

Im at a nail in the road so to speak,,,
Got a nail in the rear tire and the tread is kinda thin so its time to change...
08 ultra what would be a good tire to go with if i was wanting to go to the darkside and run a car tire ??
I was going to go back to the metzler me 880 touring.. but have been debating the car tire thing..
Input is welcome

Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 AM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it! Keep the ME880! There's a thread on here about someone that put one on his Road King.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing 2 weeks ago on my 08 UC except it was a self taping screw. I did get lucky and after a 200 mile ride found it the next day flat in the garage. Not sure how it made it home.

Had not considered a car tire. With such a small contact patch we all ask a lot of our tires and I thought tires specifically designed for the task would be better and safer, again just my opinion and I am wrong a lot (ask my wife).

I was considering Elite 3's, Venom's and the Metzeler's. After looking at all the options I put the 880 Metzeler back on. I like the feel of the 880's and IMO I think they handle better in curves. Easier to lean the bike and keep it on the chosen line. Good feel of the road for a touring tire.

Hope to get at least 10K out of this set like the last.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Car tires belong on cars... They are not engineered for the forces that a motorcycle puts on a tire,nor are they meant to fit a motorcycle rim..
But do whatever you want...it's your life.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 08 ultra, and on the second set of tires. I know many do not want to hear this, but I replaced the first set with the orignal Dunlop's. Why? Because I got almost 18K on the orginals before I picked up a nail in the rear and decided to change out the front at the same time. The Dunlops wear good and handle Great! Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustell
Car tires belong on cars... They are not engineered for the forces that a motorcycle puts on a tire,nor are they meant to fit a motorcycle rim..
But do whatever you want...it's your life.
I'm not gonna reopen an other discussion on the subject. There are several threads here and several dedicated Forums dealing with it. The unanimous feedback from the ones who use a CT on their bike is that car tires work well on bikes. It's a matter of inflating them properly.
IMO the main reason very few HD riders use CTs is because there are virtually no car tires to fit the narrow rim of the touring bikes until 2009.
Personally, I will switch to a CT when I replace my original tire. A > $200 touring tire lasting only 9,000 miles is a rip-off IMO, and very objectively, it doesn't provide great handling qualities, especially in the rain.
But like you said, do whatever you want, and I do the same. Nobody's trying to convince you.

The following users liked this post:
ranger351w (10-11-2016)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM
nail bender
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont see how a car tire could work on a motorcycle. look at the profile of a car tire they are flat across the tread. a motorcycle tire is round across the tread. when my tire is worn and has a large flat spot in the center the bike handles strange. i think this is what a car tire would handle like.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Do what you want, I am still on the fence about this,,,

Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't heard of a pre-09 with a CT yet. The wider 09+ rim is easier to find a tire to fit. I'm still debating this issue myself....but I have friends that say they'll never go back to a MC tire.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really can't give any advice, or opinion on this I just have a question:
What exactly is the Dark side, I see threads on here, I just got my first tourning bike, glad to be on the dark side, I just got my first Street glide, glad to be on the dark side, I jut got my first Road glide my turn on the dark side, I switched to a Soft tail guess I'll be riding on the dark side, I just got a Car tire on my bike, checking out the dark side, the pedals on my tricycle just broke guess I'll be going to the dark side, so what exactly is "The Dark Side"
Thanks for your help
Terry

Quick Reply: Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??