Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

This is why I'm biting the bullet and buying and installing the SE Comp myself, even though my bikes still under warranty. No aggravation from the dealer and I will know its been installed correctly. I know I will miss out on the "paw" prints all over my bike and possible scratches in the paint if I did go to the dealer but I can live with that!!

Hopefully I can still take part in the Class Action suit that I'm sure someone will start in the future.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 AM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myred55
If the Compensator replacement is under warranty does anyone know what the cost is to upgrade to the SE compensator?
If it an extended warranty issue - it is about $100 upgrade. If they are repairing under a factory warranty - I've heard that HD is now replacing with the SE compensator...

Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 AM
mike56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does there NEED to be an actual failure, or are they doing the upgrade(warranty) for the symptoms ?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am definitely having the "symptoms". At cold start up there is a some serious extra noise that subsides slightly after a minute or 2 of warm-up. My "screwdriver" stethescope tells me the noise is right at the compensator. Also, at hot starts after a fuel stop the violent kick can be so bad that I'm thinking something has to break soon. I'll be taking it in this Friday for another minor warranty issue. When I do, I will explain the symptoms. If they don't play ball, or if they tell me everything is "normal" or "within spec" I will VERY NICELY tell them that I want the following entered into my service record and that I want a copy of the printout to give to my wife in case anything happens to me.

"Customer states that motorcycle is exhibiting symptoms of a failing compensator and has requested that it be replaced. Customer further states that he is concerned that a failure of the compensator while operating the vehicle could cause a catisrophic event resulting in serius injury or death."

If the dealer will not enter that into my record, then I will send a Certified Receipt letter to the service department.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 AM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55

"Customer states that motorcycle is exhibiting symptoms of a failing compensator and has requested that it be replaced. Customer further states that he is concerned that a failure of the compensator while operating the vehicle could cause a catisrophic event resulting in serius injury or death."

well said!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 PM
ScottFLHTK
Novice

They had the same problem back in 2003 But it was a NUT that held the compenstator ON. Now it is a BOLT that hold it on. My old 2003 Road King and the Nut Come lose 2 times and 1 time it did not have enough clamping load on the nut that held compenstator - went through 3 rotor, the rotor would just spin and eat up the splines on the rotor and 2 new stators. i do hear alot of dealers are replacing the Stock unit with the SE unit when they are having problems with Bad cluncking of the compenstator. Scott.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:08 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser

They aren't replacing the old stock ones with SE comps under warranty. My '08 has been doing the snap,crack,whack on every start for a long time. Then the other day when I had the clutch in to stop it was sounding like something trying to engage but there was no jerking. When I took it in for service I told them about the clutch deal. They came back and told me there were some leaks and they were opening the primary, so I got a ride home. Got a call that they had to order a new comp because the original was out of spec. asked if they could do the SE for price diff which they did. When I pick up the bike found out they replaced EVERYTHING in the primary with new all under warranty.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 AM
navyman
Road Master

Just yesterday I started getting a new noise when starting from a dead stop with the engine warm. Just as the clutch lever is reaching full out, I get two distinctive bangs, similar to hitting the primary with a hammer. It only does it when starting from a dead stop. Is this a compensator issue or a clutch problem? Clutch seems to work fine and is adjusted according to spec.

Here's an update: Went out this morning to see if it would do this with everything cold. It does, and then I noticed that there is a clanking noise coming from the IDS area when rolling the bike with the motor off. I am having the dealer pick it up.

Last edited by navyman; 08-31-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:30 AM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine after the 103" engine build.and glad i checked it,Because it was cracked behind the bolt head and the crack went all the way to the splines. The SE comp. is much heavier built and stronger.Starts right up every time with no noise.All yeah my bike had 8000 miles on it when the old one came out.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bike has not experianced any symptoms yet, I am hoping I can get them to be a little proactive on changing mine out, maybe they will want some easy money from HD for some warranty work... time will tell.

Quick Reply: Problems with Compensator