Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

File for claim, or keep quiet

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 PM
09RKC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default File for claim, or keep quiet

Hey,

A few weeks aog my brother posted a note here about my wreck in OKC. The dust has settled and reality appears. I'm with 7 broken ribs (some floating), broken collar bone, risk of collapse lung and road rash. All will heal. But the bike...

First, the wreck was my fault. Period. I 'failed to yeild' onto a service road. This service road is difficult to discern from the interstate. What separates the service road from the interstate is nothing more than a sidewalk. I couldn't tell there WAS a service road. I locked it up to miss a car in front of me (and did). Released brakes, the bike squared up and I smacked a kirb. I went down, the bike slid 65 yards down the concrete. No one aside from me was involved, no persons or property.

I was cited for 'failure to yield'. BTW, as the the hwy patrol officer left he dropped the citation on my chest as I was wheeled into the ambulance. I was told by parametics OKC's like that.

I'll guess $5k in damage (being the perfectionist I am, maybe more). $1k deductable with Progressive. The police report won't be available for a month.

a - If I elect to file, should I wait for the report to send to Progressive, or file now?
b - Is there a downside if I repair the bike before filing?

I never know what to do at this point... file or keep quiet. As far as Progressive knows, I'm clean. No speeding, no nuthin'. BTW, I do not speed.

My 1st daughter died in 1987. The bill was $389K. Since then I've felt that THAT's what insurance was for... situations I couldn't possibly handle on my own. For a myriad of reasons it makes sense to me to keep this to myself. Keeps premiums lower, clean record etc. However, many people I'm close to can't wait for me to file. Some want so sue OKC for an unsafe "intersection".

Aaanyway, I'd appreciate opinions.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 PM
LRHD
Road Captain

Your rates will go up, the title will be a salvage title but your bike will be fixed. minus the 1k deductable. tough decision. I'd fix it without the insurance and keep my prems low. Use the insurance for the big stuff like medical etc.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know - I'd ask Progressive.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Steamchicken
Cruiser

i would get an estimate 1st on the bike repairs...maybe a lot more than u expect...

..if your premiums go up you should be able to shop around....\

..good luck...glad u r ok..

Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 AM
ericgelectra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 09RKC
Hey,

A few weeks aog my brother posted a note here about my wreck in OKC. The dust has settled and reality appears. I'm with 7 broken ribs (some floating), broken collar bone, risk of collapse lung and road rash. All will heal. But the bike...

First, the wreck was my fault. Period. I 'failed to yeild' onto a service road. This service road is difficult to discern from the interstate. What separates the service road from the interstate is nothing more than a sidewalk. I couldn't tell there WAS a service road. I locked it up to miss a car in front of me (and did). Released brakes, the bike squared up and I smacked a kirb. I went down, the bike slid 65 yards down the concrete. No one aside from me was involved, no persons or property.

I was cited for 'failure to yield'. BTW, as the the hwy patrol officer left he dropped the citation on my chest as I was wheeled into the ambulance. I was told by parametics OKC's like that.

I'll guess $5k in damage (being the perfectionist I am, maybe more). $1k deductable with Progressive. The police report won't be available for a month.

a - If I elect to file, should I wait for the report to send to Progressive, or file now?
b - Is there a downside if I repair the bike before filing?

I never know what to do at this point... file or keep quiet. As far as Progressive knows, I'm clean. No speeding, no nuthin'. BTW, I do not speed.

My 1st daughter died in 1987. The bill was $389K. Since then I've felt that THAT's what insurance was for... situations I couldn't possibly handle on my own. For a myriad of reasons it makes sense to me to keep this to myself. Keeps premiums lower, clean record etc. However, many people I'm close to can't wait for me to file. Some want so sue OKC for an unsafe "intersection".

Aaanyway, I'd appreciate opinions.
If it was me.... I will definately file. Knowing that your hurt< and your bike wrecked that bad, I will file. Depending on your coverage, Progressive covers your medical bill as well, and on the same 1k deductible. The salvage title does not matter for many reasons, because if you ever plan on selling your bike you will still have to pay to fix it. The other reason why salvage title does not matter is if your keeping the bike forever or for a while WHO CARES ABOUT THE SALVAGE TITLE. So..... If it was me I will definately file.. they might not even raise your premium.. Only because you have "1" incident or accident does not mean you will automatically be hit with a raise on your prem. This coming from a Progressive customer..

Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you won't get a salvage title if the repairs are less then the bikes worth...FILE
Best of luck healing quickly

Old 09-15-2010, 01:38 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know about Tennessee but I found out today from my wife's fender bender here in GA a couple of weeks ago that when a police report is filed, a copy goes to your insurance company. That info was given to us by a claims rep from State Farm (the company the other guy had). I was going to pay to fix our car so my insurance company wouldn't find out. Now I'm going to wait and see what they do.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Note to self , stay out of Oklahoma.....

Insurance is the biggest scam in the business world. If I could run my business like they do I would be rich.... Surcharge's are great aren't they.. File the claim, your a customer and have a good driving record you made a mistake and taking responsibility for your actions. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:32 AM
johngp7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a minor wreck on my 09 SG...my fault...called Progressive...claims rep at dealer next day...no problems got bike fixed paid deductiable..no rate increase...File that's what you have ins for

Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you in the Iron Horse Patrol? Prospector called me and told about the incident and Squegee said they found a heart anuerism so maybe the accident saved your life because otherwise the heart condition wouldn't have been found? Sounds like the officer was a dick.

As far as the insurance goes, I'd file a claim immediately and I wouldn't fix anything until an adjuster comes out and takes a look at everything.

Quick Reply: File for claim, or keep quiet