Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reckless Motorcycles -- Fairings

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
wtf??? Seriously, are you kidding or what? I'm not worked up in the slightest, just posted some info pertinant to the thread. Why in the world would you want to make it personal?

Not making it personal, just an observation based on your response.

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Typical internet crap. Someone slams a product they have absolutely no experience with. Dare to ask them to back up their opinion and they start the flaming.....
I never said anything bad about the Dragonfly faring. I made a statement that I was told by my parents that the Reckless faring was a much nicer construction. I also said I would try to find out exactly why they said this and post some pics if I could.

Your right, I have no experience with either product, which I thought I made pretty clear in my original post. If you think I was flaming you for saying that you were getting worked up over an opinion, you might want to work on getting some thicker skin. (That might have been a flame there but who knows?)

Old 09-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jimski
It's unfortunate that he responded to your post that way. You're one of the most helpful guys on the Forum in my opinion. You always provide facts, photos or both in your posts. Most of us really appreciate the time that you spend helping others and posting USEFUL information. I learned a lot about cams from your posts in other threads.
Glad you're on the Forum and a friend.

Jim
Thanks, Jim

I've got nothing against Reckless or any of the other low cost fairing manufacturers. Everyone I know is trying to stretch their dwindling budgets as far as possible. I don't care in the slightest if someone wants to buy a Reckless or maxshen or any of the other budget detachables. My only comment was in reply to the second-hand statement that it was better quality than Dragonfly at a cheaper cost. Cheaper sure, but better quality? I was just looking for some more info as to why they would say that, and posted some info pertinant to the thread. Nowhere could anyone read into that reply that I was "worked up" in any way. That was a cheap shot and contributed nothing of value to the discussion.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just be careful, I bought a fairing based on what people said here and it was a POS that I took back off after about 50 miles, don't buy anything made in China, they look good but they are crap and I'm not saying Reckless is made in China. If you want a good quality American made inexpensive fairing also look at a WOODY'S they are good stuff and real reasonably priced.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jag1886
Just be careful, I bought a fairing based on what people said here and it was a POS that I took back off after about 50 miles, don't buy anything made in China, they look good but they are crap and I'm not saying Reckless is made in China. If you want a good quality American made inexpensive fairing also look at a WOODY'S they are good stuff and real reasonably priced.
I thought Reckless was made in some guys shop in Tennessee. Or at least that is what I was told.

Woodys makes a very good product.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the market for a fairing for my RK custom. I was dead set on the dragonfly but might give reckless a call see what they have to say. Boogaloodude can you listen to cd's with your draganfly? Thinking about ordering one this week.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:23 PM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been so busy and haven't had time to order my reckless fairing. He claims made in USA, but I believe they are made in china.

Everytime boogaloo responds in a fairing post which is in every fairing post (go check) he has too point out how great his fairing is even though the question specifically asks about a different fairing.

I'm sure his fairing is nice, but for 250 I'm getting the Chinese fairing made in tennessee!

If I end thinking the reckless is pos, I'll let everybody know

Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if the Reckless fairings are made in TN or not, but that's where they're based. I do know at least some of their fairings are simply direct copies of Hoppe Quadzilla fairings that I designed when I worked for Hoppe. Guess that sure saved a lot of design $$$.
I looked at their ebay ads and saw their "1300 VTX" fairing. The picture they are using was ripped right off the original Hoppe website. I know because I took the picture myself with that fairing sitting on my desk, and photoshopped the background out. Nice to know they took advantage of ALL my efforts. As to whether they are better quality than Dragonfly, very doubtful unless you are comparing them to the original Dragonfly design from around 2002 or 2003. That wouldn't be fair because the current Dragonfly offerings are very good quality.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04 rkcrr
I'm in the market for a fairing for my RK custom. I was dead set on the dragonfly but might give reckless a call see what they have to say. Boogaloodude can you listen to cd's with your draganfly? Thinking about ordering one this week.
I don't have a CD player in my fairing. My reciever has ipod controls built in, as well as a XM tuner, and that's mostly what I listen to.

I don't know anyone who has a Reckless fairing, but I have seen a couple of the cheap ebay fairings devlop stress cracks down by the mounting bracket after just one season. That's why I give Dragonfly props for building a strong product. I tend to ride pretty hard, and also put a lot of miles on my bike over the course of a year, and I would be pissed if I had spent 500 bucks on paint only to need to redo it after a year because I tried to save a couple of hundred bucks on the initial purchase.

Glenn makes a quality product for a bit less than Dragonfly or DeadCenter. He has a reputation for solid customer service, and I've not heard of even one unhappy customer. He has a solid gold reputation here on the forum, and anyone in the market for an aftermarket detachable fairing should include him on their short list.

Originally Posted by jurob
Everytime boogaloo responds in a fairing post which is in every fairing post (go check) he has too point out how great his fairing is even though the question specifically asks about a different fairing.
With all due respect, I was responding to a statement that Reckless was "much nicer construction" than Dragonfly. I didn't bring Dragonfly into this thread, the second poster to it did. Nor did I say one was better than the other, just asked for clarification on why the statement was made, and then showed a couple of pictures. You are left to draw your own conclusions.

I also frequently give props to DeadCenter and to Woodys. But of course, you would know that, if as you say, you have read all my posts. Not sure why you would be stalking me, but I have nothing to hide.

I know the Dragonfly folks, they have done right by me and a few of my friends, and I will continue to give them props when I can.

Last edited by Mike; 09-23-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 rkcrr
For the most part, usable CD capability is more a function of the head unit chosen than the fairing itself, assuming the head unit is properly mounted and relatively level. Keep in mind that a fairing-mounted CD player is it's own worse enemy-you're mounting a precision laser inside a speaker enclosure that's attached to a paint shaker. Whatever you end up getting-make sure it's got a USB port and record your CDs onto a cheap little USB memory stick. Personally, I prefer satellite

Last edited by Glenn W; 09-23-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:28 PM
deli
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks All

I appreciate the opinions, and advice. Didn't mean to get any chit tossed back and forth. This place is my online favorite. I lurk, and I learn.

Quick Reply: Reckless Motorcycles -- Fairings