Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My seat thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
bfrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My seat thread

There are like 50 threads a month with members asking about what seat to buy. I thought I would post what I've done and my experience with it.

I have a '10 Street Glide. The stock seat is terrible. My wife refused to ride it without me replacing so when we picked up the bike from the dealer we placed an order for a HD Sundowner. I've put over 7K on it in the last year with that seat. It is pretty nice but what I notice is that after about an hour my buns and upper thighs start bothering me, tingling, sore, annoying feeling. After about 1.5-2 hrs I have to get off and stretch my legs or I feel like I am not going to make it.

I decided it was time to upgrade. Went back to the dealership shelled out the $500 for the HD hammock seat because I heard great things about this seat. I got it home and the bottom of the seat was sitting on top of the computer and it would not snug into the mounts the way it should have. So I called the dealership and made sure I could get my cash back they are one of the dealers, like most, that want to give you a gift card rather than your money back. I still needed to do something so I decided to give Mean City Cycles a try. I called Allen and spoke with him we decided on a double decker memory foam treatment for both me and the wifey. They should have the seat back to me on the 9/30 so I will post up what I think after i put some miles on it.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:31 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Brian, you should just go buy a SportTourer from C&C Seats. Harley seats are junk.
You wont regret your purchase from C&C. 10K miles on mine on my StreetGlide with NO complaints, ride forever with no discomfort. Top customer service, great to deal with. The BEST available IMHO!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do a lot of riding don't waste anymore money on seats and seat mods. Just drop the coin on a Russell Day Long and be done with it. You won't be sorry you did.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bfrank, How tall are you? I ask because that sensation in your legs you're describing sounds like your knees are too high/too bent, meaning the seat is pushing you too far fwd.

I just ordered a C&C fastback and had them move the lumbar 1.5 inches further back. Can't wait for it to come in.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer

The MOCO should keep making frames and engines, but leave the seats to people who know what they are doing.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been watching these seats threads closely. I cant make up my mind if I should go with a Road Zeppelin or let MCC work on my factory seat. I am going to Panama City early to try and meet up with the MCC guys and see what they say and maybe get it done while I am at the rally. I have tried the Hammock and think it is one of the worst seats I have ever sat on. Hate to spend the extra money on a Mustang or Corbin (have had Corbin in past and liked them) because I like a backrest and already have the HD back rest installed. I know, stop being so dang cheap, right???

Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The Russel day long is probably the one to beat. But, it's the size of my living room sofa, it better be comfortable.

However it's just not the look I want. My bike changes with what I,m doing. Weekly driving back and forth the work and local hops. The tour pack comes off but I hate the look of the big touring seat.

Wife wants to go somewhere on the bike I throw the sissy bar on.

Long haul everything go's on and hit the road.

Seats I'm looking at:
CC solo with passanger pillion. concerns 13.5 inch solo.(is this wide enough) They are working on releasing a 13.5 passanger pillion.

Mustang solo with back rest and passanger pallion 15 or 17 inch solo width.

And of course the Corbin classic, back rest and pillion. possibly heat. for those cold Texas winters.

Mustang does except returns if you buy from them dirrect.
Russell has a satisfaction garrenty
The rest is buy at your own perral.

Went to the Harley shop last week, they had a Hog meeting going on, probably 300 + bikes. I checked them all, and only 2 had aftermarket seats 1 Mustang and 1 Russell.

Choices, Choices, Choices, Choices, Choices.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 PM
PSYCLE
Advanced

I've had the same Corbin for 13 years, so, yeah, mighty sure I love it and every passenger has too.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:07 PM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I have put about 1500 mis. on my seat since Allen did the mods on it.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 PM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Damn work computer cut me off. As I was saying I could not be any happier with
my MCC seat mods.Seems like the more I ride it the more comfortable it gets.

Quick Reply: My seat thread