Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash Drive into AUX port?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Mathnerd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy zombie threads Batman!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Bachus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BikeTronics setup on an 09 CopGlide. /Sony head set w/USB port. Bought a 16G HP Ultra flash drive, fits under the rain cover.

It has 31 albums loaded, couple of backups for my bike and Momma's Power Commander maps, and a boat load of photos. 1.45G used, 13.7 free.

Made a trip to Taos and back to Central Ks., last couple of hours heard a few reruns on the stereo.

EVERYBODY needs a USB port and a flashdrive of Your music!

Adding to it all the time,

4Gig is adequite, 8G is better, 16G if you fill it will last you many years of riding!

Dan B
Central Ks.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Jdharley78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The ultra limited 2014 comes with a usb standard

I love my USB port on my new bike. Before I just used my iPhone or android with the aux cord plugged into both

Old 06-25-2015, 10:16 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandd71974
Treyparrish, can you explain how you can burn sound files instead of mp3's. I burn mp3's to cd's all the time, but have never heard of what you are talking about. I use cd's on my ultra and would like to find out how you do that. Thanks
Here's the deal-When you're getting ready to burn the files to the cd you can create a data disc instead of a music disc. The result is a relatively small mp3 file being copied to the cd and you can copy hundreds of these files to the cd. The Harley HK head unit will decode the file and play it just like i does a music cd.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

re:
[[ Treyparrish, can you explain how you can burn sound files instead of mp3's. I burn mp3's to cd's all the time, but have never heard of what you are talking about. I use cd's on my ultra and would like to find out how you do that. ]]

You need a disc burning app that is capable of burning an "MP3 CD".
MP3 CD's are distinctly different from an ordinary "Audio" CD.

A "normal" audio CD has uncompressed 44.1khz 16-bit files, arranged in what's called "the red book" format. It will play on any CD player. An audio CD will hold about one hour, twenty minutes of audio.

An "mp3 CD" is actually a "data CD" that is comprised of mp3 files. I'm not an expert, but I sense that there is something in the burning process that makes them slightly different than a run-of-the-mill "data CD". Hence, the need for a specialized app that can create them.

Because mp3 files are considerably smaller than uncompressed (CD) audio files, an MP3 CD can hold several hours of audio content (exactly how much depends on what bitrate the mp3 files use for encoding). I generally get about 5+ hours of audio on the mp3 CD's I burn for the Harley, but I prefer higher bitrates (192 or 256).

Not every CD player will play mp3 CD's, although most newer ones can.

On the Mac side of things, one can create an mp3 CD using Toast.
Not sure of what folks use on the Windows side.

To address the original question of this thread:
No, you can't plug an "ordinary" flash drive into the "aux" port, because that port is an analog port that only accepts analog input (such as the headphone out on an iPod).
The flashdrive (of course) is a digital device holding digitized audio files.

Having said that, the USB-in port on the new infotainment systems makes devices like iPods almost unnecessary (I said, "almost").
If you have a flashdrive with a good set of music (classified into sub-folders) all loaded up, just plug it in and go. You can navigate the flashdrive right from the display.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

What's a CD?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:53 AM
hdultra2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandd71974
Treyparrish, can you explain how you can burn sound files instead of mp3's. I burn mp3's to cd's all the time, but have never heard of what you are talking about. I use cd's on my ultra and would like to find out how you do that. Thanks
you have to have a burning cd software, to burn an Audio CD, u just apply all ur mp3 about 10 songs on list and select burn audio cd. you can use Windows Media player to burn all kind of cds, mp3, audio...and its free. the payed software have more feature than Windows media player though.
say you have an audio cd and you want to burn it as MP3 cd, all you have to do in windows media player, is go to tools-option, and choose rip music. select automaticaly . insert audio cd in computer and open media player to play the cd ....it will rip it MP3 then burn as mp3 cd (file cd).
hope that help

Old 06-26-2015, 07:34 AM
RV18Z
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats all I run is a flash drive. You don't need to buy any extra cords for my 15 SGS. Not sure about other models. Works like a charm I set favorites to get to quickly, can search for songs, artists, or albums. Works like a charm. Only issue I had at first was my left toggle wouldn't allow me to skip songs but the guy at the dealership adjusted something and now it works great!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
What's a CD?
CD V1- Compact Disc- An obsolete storage unit for audio signals that replaced
vinyl LPs and cassette tapes in the early 1980's.

CD V2- Certificate of Deposit- A financial instrument which was made obsolete
when banks started to pay depositors ridiculously low rates of interest
while locking up your money for a medium to long time period.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:17 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
CD V1- Compact Disc- An obsolete storage unit for audio signals that replaced
vinyl LPs and cassette tapes in the early 1980's.

CD V2- Certificate of Deposit- A financial instrument which was made obsolete
when banks started to pay depositors ridiculously low rates of interest
while locking up your money for a medium to long time period.

Either way obsolete!

Quick Reply: Flash Drive into AUX port?