Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winterization

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:17 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually just ride it 2 or 3 times a week. May not be for everyone but it works for me. If the temperature drops below 65 or 70 I'll put on a light jacket just to make sure I can ride far enough for the oil to warm up.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by CEJohnson21
I usually just ride it 2 or 3 times a week. May not be for everyone but it works for me. If the temperature drops below 65 or 70 I'll put on a light jacket just to make sure I can ride far enough for the oil to warm up.

It must suck having to ride in 65 deg temps. We're talking about winter. You know, snow, ice, freeze your ***** off weather.
Hope you were being sarcastic.....

Old 11-16-2010, 04:00 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was being sarcastic. And I know about ice, I use it to cool my beer. But what is this snow stuff you are talking about?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to squirt Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders b4 I store an engine for a long time.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Man, I wonder how I ever get 100k on my engines. Seems like I abuse the hell out of them by you guys standards. I take my last ride of the season and run her up to full operating temp and as soon as I pull back into the garage, I drop all of the drain plugs and leave her overnight. Next day I put in fresh fluids and adjust the clutch if needed, top off the tank, add Marine Grade Stabil, air up the tires, wash, wax and then place her on a thick rubber cow matt in the corner of my garage with a large flannel sheet over her and plug in the battery tender. My salty wet dripping cars even go in and out all winter and they always comes through the winters in fine shape?? I do sweep out the garage and hose down and mop the floors in the winter every so often? Thats it.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 PM
saw*me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
It must suck having to ride in 65 deg temps. We're talking about winter. You know, snow, ice, freeze your ***** off weather.
Hope you were being sarcastic.....
Winter

I'll ride all winter or at least when the roads are clear. I do put staybil in when it looks like it's going to be awhile before I can ride again. I can say that Seafoam is some good stuff too. I just can't bring myself to wait till spring to ride so on those sunny day's and dry roads out she comes.

Tom

Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by saw*me
Winter

I'll ride all winter or at least when the roads are clear. I do put staybil in when it looks like it's going to be awhile before I can ride again. I can say that Seafoam is some good stuff too. I just can't bring myself to wait till spring to ride so on those sunny day's and dry roads out she comes.

Tom

Same here. That's why I don't go crazy with the winterization.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Once My driveway and road freezes for the winter, nobody is going up or down until April earliest May most of the time.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 PM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep my bike in my heated basement, all I do is wash it before I put it in and plug in my tender. I have all winter to wax ect. Do most of my mod's in the winter. Even if the weather is good I don't ride in the winter. To much snow and if the roads are bare to much SALT was used to get them that way.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
You don't want fogging oil anywhere near a fuel injection system, trust me.
Your inboard is probably carbed, right? Fogging is to prevent rust in the cylinders and valves during storage. I don't want that crap anywhere near my intake.
I've fogged my FI Harley more than once in the past decade with no trouble....Same with several throttle body boats I have winterized.

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 11-16-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: winterization