Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cat removal from 10 headpipe audio file

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pavin
I just changed my head pipe and exhaust. Went with a V and H pro pipe, Its down at the dealer right now its going on the dyno tomorrow.
Thats good to hear cuz I'm lookin' to do the same. Would you please report back the dyno specs after its done? Are you using the stock pipes or upgrading to a V&H slip on? Are you with stock air, or going up in scale, like SE stage 1? Are you using an aftermarket tuner or just getting a map for the stock chip?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just removed a cat from a 2010 head pipe and the rear O2 sensor screws into the rear pipe which was extended into the collector. Even with the Cat in the head pipe they would cross talk if this wasn't done since the cat is located past the sensors. Hope this makes sense.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,235 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by 62hdbiker
You don't want to remove the cat. Bad things will happen with the oxygen sensors cross talking because the 2010 and later are located down the pipe by the cat.You want to replace the head pipe with an 09 pipe or get a new one from Fuel Moto. You also need a tuner for no cat. Fuel Moto sells the whole kit.
yeah, your warranty paperwork will automatically and suddenly disappear when you do this, your rear tire will cup, your seat screw will fall out and the dog will **** on the rug.

your post is so full of misinformation it isn't even funny. first, there is less chance of 'cross talk' between the o2 sensors without the cat. the cat is located downstream of the sensors, take it out, and you take out a bottleneck and allow exhaust to flow freer.

second, you do not need a tuner. i am running catless, have been for almost 12,000 miles. i also have a nightstick slip on installed. i do not have a tuner. i am still running stock ecm, and a/c. my bike is not facing impending disaster. it still runs somewhat hot, but not unbearably so (and we're talking summer in la), there is no pinging, my oil temps run about 220-230* (checked after a hard run), and my plugs are not bone white, they are actually a nice tan.

the only good info in your post is the recommendation to get a fuelmoto headpipe. i would have done that myself, but i had an 'extra' stock headpipe so i thought i would give it a shot. been running it for 9 months and 12,000 miles, so i must not think it's too bad.....

the stock muffler with no cat is still relatively quiet, but does have a nice growl to it when you get on it, the nightstick is slightly louder.

give me a couple of days, and i will try to get a video/soundclip..... no promises though, never done it before.

Last edited by skratch; 12-06-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info skratch....would love to hear a clip!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

I took my stock pipes off almost as soon as I got the bike home and replaced them with a complete aftermarket set. However, some states and now including motorcycles in their annual or biannual smog and/or exhaust inspection routines. So-o-o-o-o, I carefully wrapped up my stock pipes and parked them up in the rafters of the garage . . . . just in case . . . I don't even want to begin to think what Harley would want for a stock set of head pipes with the catalytic converters if I had to produce them to get my registration renewed!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

My 103 Limited runs strong, sounds good, and runs alot cooler with the collector cut in half / the cat drilled out / collector rewelded. Total cost $20. Wrapped my rear cyclinder head pipe and the collector with header wrap, reinstalled heat shields over, cost $14. Run Fuel Moto's Jackpot slip ons, a V & H Fuelpac, a Screamin Eagle A/C.
I not interested in dyno tuning and the max HP. I very seldom run the RPM's much over 3500 anyway. She hammers along real nice at 75-85mph, just got a ticket to prove it.
One more thing, you can just unplug your 02 sensors, I've run with them plugged in and unplugged, still gets 40 mpg either way. Plugs look nice and tan, not all white and hot looking anymore.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
My 103 Limited runs strong, sounds good, and runs alot cooler with the collector cut in half / the cat drilled out / collector rewelded. Total cost $20. Wrapped my rear cyclinder head pipe and the collector with header wrap, reinstalled heat shields over, cost $14. Run Fuel Moto's Jackpot slip ons, a V & H Fuelpac, a Screamin Eagle A/C.
I not interested in dyno tuning and the max HP. I very seldom run the RPM's much over 3500 anyway. She hammers along real nice at 75-85mph, just got a ticket to prove it.
One more thing, you can just unplug your 02 sensors, I've run with them plugged in and unplugged, still gets 40 mpg either way. Plugs look nice and tan, not all white and hot looking anymore.
what did you use to drill them out? I have an extra that I am going to mess with. How tough is the cat material?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,235 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
what did you use to drill them out? I have an extra that I am going to mess with. How tough is the cat material?
you are not going to be able to just 'drill it out' like you used to be able to. the cat material is some tuff stuff. i cut mine in half and it still took me 2 hrs to get it all cleaned out. course, where i made my error was to not cut through the cat material. if you do that, you will have 2 pieces to clean out, but only about 2 inches in each side. i think that will be a lot easier than trying to pry all out the one side.

if you have an extra, then i say go for it. i would not have done it if i didn't have an extra. not because of any negative performance issues, but solely because i want to have the stock pipes on hand, 'just in case'....

Old 12-07-2010, 01:20 PM
mabernhardt
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken a spare 2010 head pipe and cut it with a Reciprocating Saw in the
center of the cat. Used a 1 ½ dia. hole saw to cut the center out, then
used a air chisel to get the rest out. Using Rush slip on 1 ¾ baffle,
just got back from a 4800 mi. trip pulling a trailer, bike ran strong and cooler.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you are not going to be able to just 'drill it out' like you used to be able to. the cat material is some tuff stuff. i cut mine in half and it still took me 2 hrs to get it all cleaned out. course, where i made my error was to not cut through the cat material. if you do that, you will have 2 pieces to clean out, but only about 2 inches in each side. i think that will be a lot easier than trying to pry all out the one side.

if you have an extra, then i say go for it. i would not have done it if i didn't have an extra. not because of any negative performance issues, but solely because i want to have the stock pipes on hand, 'just in case'....
yes I plan on cut it in two but was wondering how tough the material is to drill out. I won't have a problem cutting it but was wondering what kind of bits I was going to need. I see that a hole saw works. I doubt I will worry about getting every bit out as it seems like a 2" hole cut thru it in a couple of places should give way more flow then there is now. thanks.

Quick Reply: cat removal from 10 headpipe audio file