Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering tie-down points

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Trailering tie-down points

I picked up a dual Kendon standup trailer recently and am looking for some ideas on securing my Road King for a trip out west. I have 21" soft-strap extensions to go with the ratchet straps. I don't want to use the handlebar up front since this will surely damage the bushings.

My bike has a fairing and extended hard bags.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-09-2011, 04:17 PM
myking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my engine guard up frount ; and bag guards in rear. Maybe take off your bags and go to frame?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
tarheelbagger1964
Banned

i use the engine guard with highway pegs to secure in the front. I use the passenger pegs in the rear. I ratchet it down tight and have no problems

Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two soft ties round the frame at the top of the engine guard where it intersects with the frame. Then one each on the main floorboard support. Connect them to the main tie-downs and crank it down. I check the ties once in the first 45 minutes of travel and re-tighten if needed. Then I check em every time I stop for gas, etc. I have trailered my FLHX as far as North Carolina twice and it has never moved.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM
06BLKPRL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TXCOMMISH
Two soft ties round the frame at the top of the engine guard where it intersects with the frame. Then one each on the main floorboard support. Connect them to the main tie-downs and crank it down. I check the ties once in the first 45 minutes of travel and re-tighten if needed. Then I check em every time I stop for gas, etc. I have trailered my FLHX as far as North Carolina twice and it has never moved.

+1 on this, same here!!!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Up front tie to frame where engine guard meets. For the rear we run a strap through a slot in the rear wheel down low. Doesn't move an inch and have pulled a trailer with four bikes from TX to Montana.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going thru some old American Bagger rags (July2010) I saw this for the ones with trailer queens. They showed how to install it on a bat wing bike. It bolts on with the two gas tank bolts and the top engine guard bolt.

http://www.kiwi-indian.com/new-harley-prod.html

Old 01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tarheelbagger1964
i use the engine guard with highway pegs to secure in the front. I use the passenger pegs in the rear. I ratchet it down tight and have no problems
The rear passenger pegs are a great place to secure to. I use those, a WheelDock Chock up front, and a strap through the front wheel to the front tie down eyes. Both down tubes in the front just above the crash bar are also good.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Use the bars - no damage will occur. I've towed many bikes many thousands of miles (racing) using the handle bars with zero negative effects. What will help is a brace you can pull the front of the bike down onto which will remove any suspension rebound from serious bumps or g-outs.
I made mine from three 2x6's, one on top of another (all about 8" long) with a piece of carpet on top. Put it underneath the forward part of the lower frame rails and pull the bike down onto it. You can then tie the rear of the bike down and it will never go anywhere.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM
bikehe
Tourer

I also use some electrical tape on the front brake lever and apply the front brakes. Not too much pressure, just enough to help stop the bike rolling, as I dont have one of those wheel chocks.

Quick Reply: Trailering tie-down points