Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking primary oil?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Checking primary oil?

08 Ultra

Had mainshaft replaced under warrenty. After that noticed oil leak while on a trip through Calif to Mexico. Assumed it may have been a faulty primary gasket. Took it into a nearby dealer to sort it out. They replaced the gaskets and seals around the primary and said there was a leak from the stator wires and replaced the stator.

Another 300 miles later, and lo and behold, the frickin leak is still there. I'm going to make the assumption that the next dealer isn't going to fix this quickly. I found one dealer open tomorrow (Sunday) on my route about 150 miles from here and I'm going to pick up another quart of Formula + so I can top up the primary every once in awhile.

My question is: When the bike is level, what is the range that the level of the primary oil should be below the edge of the clutch opening? I want to check this level every once in awhile and top it up but since I have no idea how much oil is leaking and I'm not filling with an exact amount like we do when the oil is changed, I'll have to create my own "dipstick" and try to keep it full. I don't want to run low and by the same token, I don't want to overfill . . . is that possible?

Any suggestions or other solutions or other ways to check the primary oil would be appreciated.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Man, that's a bummer. Unfortunately the only way to check the Primary oil level is through the Derby cover. With the bike level, the oil should come up to the bottom edge of the clutch basket.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

No need for dipstick - remove derby cover & check oil level (bottom of clutch basket).

Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you're checking the primary with the bike on the jiffy stand on a level surface.

Quick check method: fluid comes up to within 1/4" to bottom of notch in derby cover opening (last 3 bikes anyway).

Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 PM
RexBuck
Road Master

Thanks for all the responses.

mfuchs - I always checked the primary oil with the bike level - not on the Jiffy stand. Always thought I would loose oil if I opened the derby cover with it on the stand. Apparently not.

Do you know if I can fill it all the way up to the edge of the derby cover opening - in other words, can I over-fill it without damaging anything?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over filling could make it more difficult to fine neutral but I don't think it would hurt anything.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

+1 that you can fill right to the lip of the case while on the stand. Will give you a few more miles between checks until repaired. I have heard others say neutral can be harder to find but danged if I can figure out why.

BTW - any reason you couldn't seal the stator wires with gasket goo as a temp fix?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:27 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

Hey Rex: did a quick Google and found a few notes about leaks at the wires. Saw that most leaks were fixed by pulling firmly (do not jerk) on the wires where they exit the case to better seat the grommet. I'd be comfortable just gooping the thing rather than spending cash to fix it after seeing in the manual that it's just wires passing thru a pressure-sealed grommet anyway. The primary oil leak isn't under pressure, just splash and cappilary leak. Easiest of all to fix.

Hope you enjoy your trip, and take care down south. Getting crazy down there.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 AM
RexBuck
Road Master

Thanks for your research mfuchs.

I didn't think the oil was coming from the stator wires this time as it is mostly dripping at a point below the derby cover. It is an agressive enough leak that oil was blowing back to the pipes so maybe that point under the derby cover is just where it lands. Will look closer this morning when it gets light out.

The dealer did just replace the stator because of the leak at the stator wires and said the goop fix doesn't usually last long. Apparently the only way to replace that seal the wires go through is to replace the stator. I was fine with that as it was under extended warranty.

Will the seal on a new stator fail that fast?

If it looks like it is the stator wires leaking again, I'll try your "pulling firmly" method and maybe pick up a big tube of Goop.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Default Problem found . . . F$^&#@#@^^K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, went out and did a closer inspection. Absolutly no oil at the stator wire. Start feeling around underneath and there is a hole under the front of the derby cover . . . you know, the one that is supposed to have the drain plug in it? For frick sakes! They obviously didn't tighten the drain plug down and it frickin fell out! I'm guessing it happened shortly before I stopped as the end of the oil was still coming out. Hopefully, there is no damage to the crap inside the primary. Will have to cab it over to the local dealership to pick up the plug, new gasket and oil. GRRRRRRR!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Checking primary oil?