Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Change - No Oil Pressure - Engine Rough - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:47 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Let it run and no way it is changing. I took a video with my phone but don't know how to post it.

Looks like it all has to come apart again. I'm guessing the cams must be off by a tooth or one of the lifters is shot. My guess is the lifter. Maybe I'll just take the front rocker off and pushrods out and just take a look at the lifters.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had used andrews cams for ever and i know from a bad experiance that the 50s can and do smash into the pistons.make sure the 54s are a drop in cam.mine sounded like a hammering noise.You can take out the plugs and rotate the engine slowly and look at the top of the pistons with a flash light.And hope you dont see a gouge beside the valve cut out.Keep us informed

Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My interest is piqued. I thought the 54's were bolt in cams so now I've gotta know. It sounds stupid but I've gotta ask. Did you have the AC cover on when you ran the bike? Mine made a weird noise when I put my cams in and figured out it didn't make the noise with the AC cover on. Really weird I know but it stopped the noise when I put it on.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:28 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the cams run with out oil for just a few seconds it will destroy the cams and or lifters. Hopefully you lubed them up good with cam lubricant or white lube before you started the motor and shut down right away when you noticed no oil pressure.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBone
My only question would be " Do you need adj pushrods vice the stock ones for that cam set-up?"
I swapped out my cams for .575 lift ones and needed to use adj pushrods for an 07 SE Ultra with the 110. I too did the same as you and had the clanking, then shut it right off. Mine just needed to run a few minutes and build up the oil pressure.
Also, how long did you let the bike sit without it running after the install? might be dry up on the heads and needs time to get oil up there.

Hope some of that might help.
The base circle of the 54's is .020 smaller than stock. He's real safe with stock pushrod's, unless he shaved a real lot off his heads. The high lift is not at TDC.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

54H cams check .620 minimum valve travel and .060 minimum piston to valve clearance. They make a high lift collar #293115 . Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
ny2az
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope it all turns out ok...

Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

How much did you shave from your heads and are you running a thinner head gasket?

Likely need to relieve the valve pockets some on the pistons.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
The base circle of the 54's is .020 smaller than stock. He's real safe with stock pushrod's, unless he shaved a real lot off his heads. The high lift is not at TDC.
Thanks for clarifying the base circle Ed.

If he's bone stock on the heads/gasket/pistons could he have piston to valve contact with the cam being out of time?

Zach

Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Thanks for clarifying the base circle Ed.

If he's bone stock on the heads/gasket/pistons could he have piston to valve contact with the cam being out of time?

Zach
I suppose it could increase the risk.

Stock heads, gaskets AND a smaller base circle would almost make those stock pushrods loose. LOL
.020 further up the lifter. Likely not the problem here though, but worth noting. Lifter should compensate that much.

Was there proper care taken when aligning that oil pump?
I use alinment pins when doing mine, and rotate the wheel as well.

Quick Reply: Cam Change - No Oil Pressure - Engine Rough - HELP