Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another Road King rider?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 PM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a first time rider, learning clutch control, shifting, braking, ect.., things most of us take for granted is a huge learning curve for them. The MSF course is great but doesnt really prepare you for alot of situations in the real world.
Dont let vanity take the place of common sense and safety. An RK is too much bike for a first timer, man or woman, IMO. She WILL have situations where she stalls on take off, mis shifts, makes too tight of a slow speed turn, ect., ect.. She need something lower to the ground and light enough to handle easier when you she makes these mistakes until all these manuevers are second nature to her.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The first time she drops the bike and gets hurt could be a turning point for not ever riding again. Safety should be her first priority over wishful thinking. Agree with most here, start on a smaller bike.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 AM
webbdog8
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smokindave
The first time she drops the bike and gets hurt could be a turning point for not ever riding again. Safety should be her first priority over wishful thinking. Agree with most here, start on a smaller bike.
I would say the first time you drop any bike is the real test no matter if it is a buell blast or an rk i just dont see the differance. i still say i would rather be on a bike that has leg protction then not

Old 03-31-2011, 06:58 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems she has the physical stamina and balance from what you described. While not disclosed we do have enough information to know she is old enough to make her own call in life.

If I were you I would focus on getting that King to fit as well as you possibly can and start working with her on a "start slow" plan. Hopefully she won't take the MSF and hit the busy streets right off. Spend some miles in the neighborhood, big parking lots, etc.

My wife rides her own 07 RKC and it was not her first bike but I am sure it can be done. There is no one-size-fits-all answer IMO. Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Seems she has the physical stamina and balance from what you described. While not disclosed we do have enough information to know she is old enough to make her own call in life.

If I were you I would focus on getting that King to fit as well as you possibly can and start working with her on a "start slow" plan. Hopefully she won't take the MSF and hit the busy streets right off. Spend some miles in the neighborhood, big parking lots, etc.

My wife rides her own 07 RKC and it was not her first bike but I am sure it can be done. There is no one-size-fits-all answer IMO. Good Luck!
Gotta agree.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I told you guys I'd post back..... she's read all of the posts, taken it all in.... and wants to thank each of you for your comments - both the positive ones as well as the negative ones. we went back to the dealer this afternoon.... she's made up her mind to go with a 2011 Sportster 883 Low. her comment - I don't feel intimidated by it, and she can flat foot it. she got a list of local MSF courses, and one is fairly close.... and she knows she needs to get that out of the way first.

thanks!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 PM
scotracy
Road Captain

excellent choice!! I am glad she chose this route. The 883 is an excellent bike for her to get her feet wet into the world of a rider. She will love it!! Have her or yourself post updates of her progress. Good luck, and ride safe!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 PM
IowaMike
Cruiser

I have a female friend who just had to have a Road King. She bought a used one that had been lowered and went through the riders edge class. After 50,000 miles she is still riding that RK and loving every minute of it.