Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED YOUR HELP-Rotors Rubbing Calipers on NEW WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 AM
RobsSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy NEED YOUR HELP-Rotors Rubbing Calipers on NEW WHEELS

I purchased new Renegade Cinci Custom Chrome wheels for my 08 Street Glide. Front 21" Back 18" Purchased matching rotors for BOTH SIDES of the front wheel (11" Stock Size) I kept the stock Rotor and Pulley to be bolted on the new back Renegade wheel. I purchased pre-mounted and balanced tires (Metzler) as a package deal.
First problem. Right Rotor squeaks like heck on front as I role at slow speeds (approaching red light or below 15 MPH) Squeak squeak squeak. Floating Rotor seems to be hitting pads about 6 inches every time it turns over. Wheel spins freely though except when pad on caliper comes in contact with rotor. No excessive heat.
Second and more serious problem:
Rear wheel does not spin freely as there seems to be excessive contact with caliper and brake pads. This was not happening on previous stock wheel with this same rotor on it. When I try to turn it is VERY stiff and does not turn freely. I am getting excessive heat off of the rear brake rotor. I have ceased riding until I can get some answers. I have called Eastern Performance Parts tech support where I purchased the wheels (great Price by the way and great service) and I am placing a call to Renegade today. Any ideas and help with this problem from those who have expereinced something like this is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Spacers. Either space the caliper or the rotor, depending on witch side the excessive contact is on.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking that maybe you bent the right front rotor. It's easy enough to do. If you set the wheel down on the rotor while you were handling it you could have easily bent it a few fractions of an inch, which is enough to cause the partial contact you are getting.

I agree with Jinx, you are not spaced correctly on the rear wheel. Renegade should be able to help, assuming you put the correct spacer in there when you did the install.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the stock spacers would work i would check your axle on the rear and make sure the high side of the axle is the same on the other. i mark my rear axle with a sharpie befor i take the wheel off this way you know where it goes befor u install rear wheel. i just put new wheels on my bike and my front did the same after a few days it stopped the pads have to seat to new rotors. as long as the wheel spins your ok it should have a very slight drag but nothinh more then that.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:01 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Possible spacer problems. & check the run out on front rotors. The dealer that sold you the parts should have gone over with you what you need to do & also spacers &ect.