Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail Light but no Brake Light, but R/B/T lights work

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Tail Light but no Brake Light, but R/B/T lights work

I've been chasing down some electrical issues and have gotten some good information from previous posts, but I'm fairly "challenged" when it comes to electrical wiring. 2009 Ultra Classic.

On a Poker Run Sunday a riding buddy noticed my brake and turn signals acting funny. I removed the Run/Brake/Turn module but that didn't help. Also noticed I had a front running/turn signal out. Replaced the bulb and that's fixed. Finished the ride and rear lights worked intermittently. But at all times my regular brake light never worked. For all I know it has never worked. Replaced the 2-filiment bulb even though it looked ok, still no brake light. After searching on the forum, I checked my rear brake light switch and did have some brake fluid leaking, but not really even enough to drip. Rear reservoir was low but not out of fluid. Replaced the rear switch and bled the rear brake. Tail light worked, run/brake/turn signals worked, tour pak lights worked, all other brake lights worked with both the front brake lever and the rear foot brake --just not the regular brake light.

So, it's not the bulb, it's not the switch, it's not a fuse -- checked and replaced brake, lights, access fuses, and it's not the R/B/T module. What else is there? Ground? Wouldn't the tail light and brake light use the same ground? The tail light assembly has a 4-pin plug (#6837003) -- could that have "gone bad" and caused the brake light to malfunction but still have a working tail light?

I've got 4 lights that work when activating the foot pedal or the front lever, so I feel safe riding it this way, but doggone it, the regular brake light should work, too. Anybody got any ideas on what to check next?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your wiring harness under the fender, I know some of us that lowered the rear have to be careful of the tire rubbing the wiring harness underneath.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

a 12 volt test light is really a great tool or a voltmeter. you may be able to track down the problem with a test light.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks emwolb and fireaxxe. Don't know exactly what fixed it but after changing out all the 15 amp fuses in my fuse panel and cleaning out the bulb socket in my taillight and applying some dielectric grease to the bulb -- VOILA'! THERE WAS (brake) LIGHT! I was starting to question my sanity but now I feel A LOT better about the whole ordeal and A LOT better knowing that ALL my brake lights are working.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM
tonsa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem now can't figure out how to fix it. After I change the big light bar with my 2007 street glide bullet light, Now the bullet light doesn't light up only work with left and right turn but when I step on the brake or the handle bar brake no light same when the bike is on it doesn't turn on

Old 06-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Cool

replace the wire that the bulb plugs into it is about 4-5 inches and has a connector to disconnect, harley mecks use them for testing also.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default brake

I just went through this with my buddies 07 HD UC he had kuryakyn panacea brake light it stayed lite in run mode but no brake light..get your self a 12v test lite about 4 bucks in autozone take off seat disconnect brake turn signal connection under the seat its the wire going through top rear fender test connections RED Brake blue run violet left turn brown is right turn if everthing is working at connection at this point the problen is harness under rear fender or light he had a bad brake light had to replace works fine now hope this helps u out Joe

Last edited by 07JakeelwoodHD; 06-24-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM
dbrow6272
Intermediate

I also have a brake light problem. I have a panacia tail light. Running light works, turn signal lights inside the tail light work, but the brake light does not work. Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Rayssporty1200
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Roadhog659
Had that on my sporty1200, Clymers manual was a BIG help here.
tail lite was fine as I did my pre-ride, OH BALLZ no brake lite? crap
no ride today.

from the schematic an orange line came from power to one side of
the rear brake sw. then red from sw. to red of tail lite, there was also
a green wire which worked the low watts side of the bulb being the tail
lite or running lite. When I jumped out the rear brake sw. the brake lite did
not come on. So I got the idea there was NO power on the supposed "hot"
side of the switch, so I cut the wire and temporarily hooked str8 to the Bat +
and working the pedal I got my brake light. So it appears that the circuit
breaker died and since I only have what is needed on other circuits, the
brake light was the only load on that circuit.

I don't have a working front brake light sw. had it changed three times
and I have come to the opinion it is a 'very wussy- assed switch' not
made for the job it is supposed to do. I think I might just have a brake line
switch for the front calipers put in.